Building a Vacuum Kiln: The Challenge of Applying Heat to Wood

In summary, the conversation discusses building a vacuum kiln to dry wood and the challenges of applying heat in a near perfect vacuum. The use of heat matts and a powerful bulb is suggested, as well as the need for a powerful vacuum pump to maintain a low pressure. The idea of using a "freeze dryer" is also mentioned as a potential solution.
Jupiter'sTwin
I'm building a vacuum kiln to dry wood and have some questions that may be rhetoric, since I am fairly certain I know the answers. I don't see a need to describe the project in great detail so I'll stick with the basics.

The biggest challenge is applying heat to the wood. I believe I will have to use heat matts between each layer of wood because in a near perfect vacuum of 29.9 Hg a light bulb and fan will not work will it? I only ask because within the wood community some people have built a vacuum kiln and suggest that this works. But with no atmospheric pressure to speak of, how can heat from a bulb be conveyed within the chamber?

The bulb will burn of course, and the heat has to go somewhere I suppose, so does it convect to be equally distributed within the chamber? And if it does, is the minute amount of air left in the chamber (I am at 600' MSL) enough to be a carrier of heat when a fan is running?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jupiter'sTwin said:
within the wood community some people have built a vacuum kiln and suggest that this works. But with no atmospheric pressure to speak of, how can heat from a bulb be conveyed within the chamber?
The heat from the bulb will be conveyed by heat radiation. So the wood must be exposed.

When the water in the wood evaporates ( boils at low pressure ) the wood will be cooled, so a powerful bulb is needed to keep up temperature.

Also the chamber will be filled by steam, so you must have a powerful vacuum pump to maintain a low pressure.

Mayby you should read how a "freeze dryer" works. ( Not sure about the name in english ).

Hesch said:
The heat from the bulb will be conveyed by heat radiation. So the wood must be exposed.

When the water in the wood evaporates ( boils at low pressure ) the wood will be cooled, so a powerful bulb is needed to keep up temperature.

Also the chamber will be filled by steam, so you must have a powerful vacuum pump to maintain a low pressure.

Mayby you should read how a "freeze dryer" works. ( Not sure about the name in english ).

Thank you for your . . . . . rhetorical answer? (Not sure if if we are speaking english)

1. What is a vacuum chamber?

A vacuum chamber is an enclosed space from which all gases, including air, have been removed. This creates a low-pressure environment, or vacuum, inside the chamber.

2. What is the purpose of a vacuum chamber?

A vacuum chamber is used to simulate the conditions of outer space or to remove air and moisture from materials or components. It is also used in scientific experiments and research, such as testing the effects of vacuum on different substances.

3. How does a vacuum chamber work?

A vacuum chamber works by removing all gases from the enclosed space using a pump. This creates a low-pressure environment, which can be controlled and maintained using valves and gauges. The level of vacuum is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Torr or millibars.

4. What are the components of a vacuum chamber?

A vacuum chamber typically consists of a sealed chamber, a vacuum pump, valves and gauges, and other accessories such as vacuum seals and ports for introducing or removing materials. Some chambers may also have heating or cooling elements to control temperature.

5. What are the safety precautions when using a vacuum chamber?

When using a vacuum chamber, it is important to follow all safety precautions provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and properly venting the chamber before opening it. It is also important to monitor the pressure levels and not exceed the recommended maximum pressure for the chamber.