Vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a simple SUSY calculation in the Wess-Zumino model, where the result should be zero but they are not getting that. They break up the model into four terms and consider contributions to the vacuum energy of order g^2. They mention two main classes of diagrams and provide their results for diagrams with two independent loops. They also mention a paper on this topic and ask for others' opinions on it.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
:cry:I am at my wit's end so I hope someone can help.

I am trying to do what is (almost) the simplest SUSY calculation one can think of: the calculation of the vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model. The result shoudl be zero but I don't get that.

Since SUSY is "beyond the standard model" physics, I decided to cross-post my question here.

Let me start by asking a simpler question and see if anyone can help.

Let me break up the Wess-Zumino interactions into four terms

[tex] L_1 = - \frac{1}{2} g^2 (A^2 + B^2)^2 [/tex]

[tex] L_2 = - M g (A^3 + A B^2) [/tex]

[tex] L_3 = - g A \overline{\Psi} \Psi[/tex]

[tex] L_4 = - ig B \overline{\Psi} \gamma_5 \Psi [/tex]

where A and B are scalar fields and Psi is a Majorana spinor, although for the terms I want to check in this post, this makes no difference, they can be treated as Dirac spinors.

I consider the contributions to the vacuum energy of order g^2 so I calculate the time
ordered expectation values of

[tex] i L_1 - \frac{1}{2} ( L_2^2 + L_3^2 + L_4^2 + 2 L_2 L_3 + 2 L_2 L_4 + 2 L_3 L_4 ) [/tex]

There are two main classes of diagrams: diagrams in which three lines connect two distinct points.
(i.e. "sunset" diagrams). These are a bit more tricky.

Simpler diagrams are those that contain two loops over independent variables (so the
diagrams contain two independent loops). These should be simple to double check.
I will only give my results for these diagrams, not the sunset diagrams for now. These diagrams should
cancel independently of the sunset diagrams (a fact confirmed by a paper of Zumino).
But I can't get it to work!

These diagrams either have the form of two circles touching each other or two circles connected by
line (forming a dumbell).

These diagrams are all proportional to the integral

[tex] I \equiv i g^2 \int D(z-z) D(w-w) [/tex]

where D is just the usual boson propagator. I will quote all my results in terms of I .

CONTRIBUTION FROM L1

Diagram with two A loops: -3I/2

Diagram with one A loop and one B loop: -I

Diagram with two A loops: -3I/2

CONTRIBUTION FROM L2^2

Dumbell diagram with two A loops: 9 I/2

Dumbell diagram with one A loop and one B loop: 3 I

Dumbell diagram with two B loops: I/2

CONTRIBUTION FROM L3^2

Dumbell diagram, with two fermion loops: 8 I

CONTRIBUTION FROM L4^2

Because there is a gamma 5, there are no dumbell type contribution

CONTRIBUTION FROM L2 L3

Contribution with one A loop and one fermion loop: - 12 I

Contribution with one B loop and one fermion loop: -4 I

CONTRIBUTION FROM L3 L4 is identically zero.

SUM = -4 I

Now, can anyone check any of this??

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model?

Vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model refers to the energy associated with the vacuum or empty space in this particular model of particle physics. It is a concept used to describe the potential energy of the vacuum state, which is the lowest energy state of the system.

2. How does the Wess-Zumino model incorporate vacuum energy?

In the Wess-Zumino model, vacuum energy is incorporated through the use of a scalar field, known as the Higgs field, which gives mass to particles. This field has a non-zero value even in the vacuum state, leading to the presence of vacuum energy.

3. Why is vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model important?

Vacuum energy plays a crucial role in the Wess-Zumino model as it contributes to the overall energy density of the universe. It also affects the dynamics of the universe, as it can cause the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

4. Can vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model be observed?

Vacuum energy cannot be directly observed, but its effects can be seen through various phenomena such as the expansion of the universe and the Casimir effect. It is also a significant factor in current theories of dark energy.

5. How does vacuum energy in the Wess-Zumino model relate to the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's equations of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum. In the Wess-Zumino model, vacuum energy is closely related to the cosmological constant, as it also contributes to the energy density of the vacuum state.