Importance of Closing Algebra in Wess-Zumino Lagrangian: Simple SUSY Question

• Thread starter nrqed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary: The Lagrangian density would not be correct without the auxiliary fields. If the algebra of the charges does not close, then you would need to introduce new degrees of freedom in order to preserve the symmetry. Without those new fields, the symmetry would be lost.
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is surely a stupid question but here it goes...

An auxiliary field is needed in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian in order to have the algebra close off-shell. I have a couple of questions about this but let me ask the first one only for now.

Why is this required? The variation of the Lagrangian density gives a total derivative without using the equations of motion, even before the auxiliary fields are introduced. Why do we need to in addition impose that the algebra of the SUSY charges close? I guess I am asking: what would go wrong if the algrebra of charges would not close? This seems to be an issue that is totally unrelated to the invariance of the action but nobody explains what problem would happen if the algebra did not close.
Actually, this is not a purely SUSY question. Why is it important for the algebra of the charges of *any* symmetry to close?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear nrqed,

If the algebra does not close - then you have to introduce new degrees of freedom so that the symmetry can be preserved with the new set of fields. Otherwise you lose the symmetry because you miss out on degrees of freedom which must be part of the symmetry. There would be symmetry operations generated by the left-out degrees of freedom and how will you account for it if you ignore those left out degrees of freedom ?

Best Regards
Alwi

I think that a closed algebra is sufficient but not necessary property to guarantee that the required symmetry is really there. If the algebra closes, then you are sure that everything is OK. If it does not close, then it might be consistent as well, but it is not so easy to prove it.

Dear Demystifier,

I think the biggest problem from a Physics point of view - is that you would have left out some degrees of freedom that could possibly generate a symmetry operation. In that sense - an algebra that is not closed is not very satisfactory from a Physics perspective. The notion that there are left out degrees of freedom that can generate a symmetry operation is - not nice !

Best Regards
Alwi

Demystifier said:
I think that a closed algebra is sufficient but not necessary property to guarantee that the required symmetry is really there. If the algebra closes, then you are sure that everything is OK. If it does not close, then it might be consistent as well, but it is not so easy to prove it.

Thanks..Yes, from what I have read, this seems to be the situation. Mots references on SUSY makes it sound as if it's a disaster if the algebra does not close off-shell (butthey don't say exactly why), but it turns out that the situation is more murky than that.

Where would a possible problem arise if it does not close off-shell?

Dear nrqed,

Can you tolerate a symmetry operation generated by degrees of freedom that are NOT found in your Lagrangian ? My answer is NO ! I think that lies at the heart of the question. How do you deal with such a symmetry ? What about the Noether currents and so on ? Conserved charges ? I hope that answers your question.

Best Regards
Alwi

Related to Importance of Closing Algebra in Wess-Zumino Lagrangian: Simple SUSY Question

What is the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian?

The Wess-Zumino Lagrangian is a mathematical framework used in supersymmetric (SUSY) theories to describe the interactions between different particles and fields. It is a key component of supersymmetric theories and plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behaviors of particles and fields.

Why is closing algebra important in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian?

In order for the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian to accurately describe the behavior of particles and fields in a supersymmetric theory, the algebraic equations must close. This means that all the terms in the equations must balance and cancel out, ensuring consistency and validity of the theory.

What happens if the algebra does not close in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian?

If the algebra does not close, it means that there are inconsistencies in the theory and it cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles and fields. This can lead to incorrect predictions and conclusions about the behavior of the physical world.

How is the algebra closed in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian?

The algebra is closed in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian through the use of superspace and superfields. Superspace allows for the combination of bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom, while superfields are mathematical objects that contain both bosonic and fermionic components. By using these tools, the algebraic equations can be balanced and the theory can accurately describe the behavior of particles and fields.

What are the implications of closing algebra in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian?

The implications of closing algebra in the Wess-Zumino Lagrangian are significant. It allows for the development of accurate and consistent supersymmetric theories, which can then be used to make predictions and understand the behavior of particles and fields in the physical world. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying symmetries and structures in the universe.