Invariance of Wess Zumino Action under SUSY

In summary, the WZ model is invariant under the SUSY transformations. However, there is an error in the calculation of the second term in the total derivative, which introduces a minus sign.
fa2209
Hi guys,
I have a very basic question about the WZ model. I want to show that it is invariant under SUSY transformations.

The action is [tex]\int{d^4 x} \partial^\mu \phi* \partial_\mu \phi +i\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu \psi [/tex]

The SUSY transformations are [tex] \delta\phi = \epsilon \psi [/tex], [tex] \delta\phi* = \epsilon^† \psi^† [/tex], [tex] \delta\psi_\alpha = -i(\sigma^\nu \epsilon^†)_\alpha \partial_\nu \phi [/tex], [tex] \delta\psi^†_\alpha =i(\epsilon \sigma^\nu)_\alpha\partial_\nu \phi* [/tex]

I know that I should get a total derivative that vanishes but there is one minus sign that is preventing me from completing the proof. It comes from the term [tex]i\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu \delta\psi [/tex] in the variation. For this term I get the following:

[tex]\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \partial_\nu \phi [/tex]

Then by using [tex]\bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu + \bar{\sigma}^\nu \sigma^\mu = 2\eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex] I have

[tex]\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial^\mu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]

I rewrite this as a total derivative minus another term

[tex]\partial^\mu(\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \phi)-\partial^\mu\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]

This is where the problem is. Now, in order for the second term to cancel a term from the variation of φ*, it should have exactly this form but with ψ† and ε† in reverse order. However, doing this introduces a minus sign as the spinors are grassmann odd. What have I done wrong in the manipulation, and how do I get rid of this extra minus sign?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without going through the explicit calculation, chapter 5 of Labelle's susy demystified goes through this in great detail.

haushofer said:
Without going through the explicit calculation, chapter 5 of Labelle's susy demystified goes through this in great detail.
Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. I'll have a look at that when I get to the library today. From the above though, can you see an error in my working or is it ok so far?

1. What is the meaning of "invariance" in the context of Wess Zumino action and SUSY?

Invariance refers to the property of a physical system or mathematical equation to remain unchanged under certain transformations. In the case of Wess Zumino action and SUSY, it means that the action remains the same even when subjected to a transformation by supersymmetry operators.

2. What is the significance of the invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY?

The invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY is significant because it ensures that the theory is consistent with the principles of supersymmetry. It also allows for the incorporation of supersymmetry into the Standard Model of particle physics, which is a highly successful theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions.

3. How does the invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY affect the predictions of the theory?

The invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY does not affect the predictions of the theory itself, as the action remains unchanged. However, it does introduce new symmetries into the theory, which can lead to new particles and interactions that are not predicted by the Standard Model.

4. Can the invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY be experimentally tested?

Yes, the invariance of Wess Zumino action under SUSY can be tested through various experiments in particle physics. These experiments involve colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the resulting interactions to look for evidence of supersymmetric particles and interactions that are predicted by the theory.

5. Are there any other theories or principles that also exhibit invariance under SUSY transformation?

Yes, there are other theories and principles that exhibit invariance under SUSY transformation, including supergravity and superstring theory. These theories aim to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, and incorporate supersymmetry into a single framework.