Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Invariance of Wess Zumino Action under SUSY

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,
    I have a very basic question about the WZ model. I want to show that it is invariant under SUSY transformations.

The action is [tex]\int{d^4 x} \partial^\mu \phi* \partial_\mu \phi +i\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu \psi [/tex]

The SUSY transformations are [tex] \delta\phi = \epsilon \psi [/tex], [tex] \delta\phi* = \epsilon^† \psi^† [/tex], [tex] \delta\psi_\alpha = -i(\sigma^\nu \epsilon^†)_\alpha \partial_\nu \phi [/tex], [tex] \delta\psi^†_\alpha =i(\epsilon \sigma^\nu)_\alpha\partial_\nu \phi* [/tex]

I know that I should get a total derivative that vanishes but there is one minus sign that is preventing me from completing the proof. It comes from the term [tex]i\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu \delta\psi [/tex] in the variation. For this term I get the following:

[tex]\psi^† \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \partial_\nu \phi [/tex]

Then by using [tex]\bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^\nu + \bar{\sigma}^\nu \sigma^\mu = 2\eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex] I have

[tex]\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial^\mu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]

I rewrite this as a total derivative minus another term

[tex]\partial^\mu(\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \phi)-\partial^\mu\psi^† \epsilon^† \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]

This is where the problem is. Now, in order for the second term to cancel a term from the variation of φ*, it should have exactly this form but with ψ† and ε† in reverse order. However, doing this introduces a minus sign as the spinors are grassmann odd. What have I done wrong in the manipulation, and how do I get rid of this extra minus sign?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Without going through the explicit calculation, chapter 5 of Labelle's susy demystified goes through this in great detail.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    Hi, thanks a lot for your answer. I'll have a look at that when I get to the library today. From the above though, can you see an error in my working or is it ok so far?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted