Vacuum Flask Thermodynamic Equation

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an advanced thermodynamic equation for a vacuum flask in order to model the cooling of a liquid in the cylindrical center region. The parameters needed for the equation include reflectivity, emissivity, gas pressure in the gap, specific heat/properties of the walls, and any other relevant parameters. The length of the flask is assumed to not matter. The purpose of the modeling is not specified, but the conversation is marked for advanced level discussion in the fields of mechanical engineering and thermodynamics.
Petersenwill36
Im trying to find an advanced thermodynamic equation for a vacuum flask.

I am looking for an equation to find the temperature of a liquid at time t as it cools down. Ignore the cap and bottom section; assume there is no heat loss in those areas. I'm just interested in the cylindrical center region. I need all parameters such as reflectivity, emmisivity, gas pressure in the gap and the specific heat/properties of the walls as well as any other relevant parameters. I assume the length L doesn't matter. Can't seem to find this online.

Thank you in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
See "Dewar."

Likes berkeman
Petersenwill36 said:
Im trying to find an advanced thermodynamic equation for a vacuum flask.

I am looking for an equation to find the temperature of a liquid at time t as it cools down. Ignore the cap and bottom section; assume there is no heat loss in those areas. I'm just interested in the cylindrical center region. I need all parameters such as reflectivity, emmisivity, gas pressure in the gap and the specific heat/properties of the walls as well as any other relevant parameters. I assume the length L doesn't matter. Can't seem to find this online.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to PF.

Can you say more about why you want to do this modeling? Are you wanting to design a better dewar structure, so you want to be able to model the structures as accurately as possible? Or is this maybe for a shoolwork project?

What is your background in ME and Thermo? You've marked this thread with an "A" Advanced prefix, which means that you want the discussion to be at the graduate school and PhD level.

1. What is a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation?

A vacuum flask thermodynamic equation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume inside a vacuum flask. It is used to calculate the efficiency of a vacuum flask in keeping its contents at a desired temperature for a certain period of time.

2. How does a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation work?

The vacuum flask thermodynamic equation uses the principles of thermodynamics to calculate the heat transfer rate and energy loss of a vacuum flask. It takes into account the insulation properties of the flask, as well as the temperature difference between the contents and the surrounding environment.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation?

The accuracy of a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the vacuum seal, the material and thickness of the flask's insulation, and the temperature and pressure changes during use. Other external factors, such as external heat sources, can also impact the accuracy of the equation.

4. How can a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation be used in practical applications?

A vacuum flask thermodynamic equation can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and testing vacuum flasks for specific purposes, determining the optimal insulation materials and thickness for a flask, and predicting the performance of a flask in different environmental conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation?

While a vacuum flask thermodynamic equation is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the performance of a vacuum flask, it does have some limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and may not account for all external factors that can affect the flask's performance. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation may vary depending on the specific design and materials of the flask.