Vacuum interrupter contacts and displacement current

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displacement current and its existence in a vacuum, specifically in a MV/HV vacuum interrupter with a small contact gap. The person is seeking help in understanding why there is no current flow through the circuit with contacts open. The conversation also touches on the relationship between displacement current and conduction current in a capacitor, and how displacement current is necessary to close the circuit. It is also mentioned that displacement current is present in both AC and DC circuits, with some differences in magnitude and behavior.
kenneth edmiston
TL;DR Summary
Why can displacement current travel through dielectric medium in capacitors but has no effect between interrupted contacts.
I’m self taught so I have a lot of holes in my understanding. I also have little to no mathematical understanding. Even though ironically, I tend to prefer to picture electricity as numbers rather than “water” in a pipe, etc.

I’ve been studying displacement current recently and have a question.

Displacement current can exist in a vacuum, and the contact gap in a MV/ HV vacuum interrupter is relatively small. Why do you not see current flow through the circuit with contacts open?

My theories are that;
1) if Displacement current = conduction current, you need a closed circuit conducting current to obtain displacement current. No conduction, no displacement.
2) the gap on a vacuum interrupter is too far apart

Help understanding this would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kenneth edmiston said:
Displacement current can exist in a vacuum, and the contact gap in a MV/ HV vacuum interrupter is relatively small. Why do you not see current flow through the circuit with contacts open?
AC circuit ⇒ there is displacement current. But it is very small for ordinary power frequencies since the capacitance involved is very small

What allows it to pass through a capacitor dielectric at that frequency? The voltage at the capacitor plates would have the same frequency as an interrupter contact, right? Just curious. Thanks for the quick reply.

Very contacts separated by vacuum gap form a small capacitor and change of electrical field there must be accompanied by change of charges on the electrode contacts which in turn must be accompanied by flow of current in an external circuit. Yes, the same frequency

When you examine a capacitor closely, the charge that flows into one terminal of the capacitor is equal to the charge that flows out of the other terminal. That must be true because the terminal currents are actually the same current, flowing through the unseen circuit behind you.

Since the two terminal currents are identical, they can be numerically equated and referred to by the same name, capacitor displacement current. Like double entry book keeping, the hypothetical displacement current is simply there to close the circuit, so as to reconcile Kirchhoff's current law.

So, electron current cannot flow through the insulation, yet the hypothetical displacement current does flow through the capacitor.
C = Q / V
E = ½ · C · V²

And the same applies to both ac and dc correct? A charging or discharging dc capacitor will have a changing electric field which would cause the displacement? I’m an electrician, no one explains capacitors in this way. “A charge on one terminal pulls a charge from the other side” etc. (I’m referring to charge in the post and not the movement of particles. People seem to forget the charge flow when explaining capacitors) So I would be correct in saying displacement current is the way current continues through a dielectric regardless if it’s ac or dc? In an ac circuit it is a constant property, in dc it applies only to a change in magnitude of the charge? Thank you Edit: also why do you refer to it as hypothetical? Is it unclear exactly what is happening even though it is know that the effect is a current through a dielectric.

Last edited:
When you turn on/off power in DC circuit too ( first a current spike, than in steady state displacement current is 0).That current is possible due to "self"-capacity of the circuit. In AC circuit capacitive current is present all the time in steady state. Generally, the current is small

Zoki the steady state capacitive current in AC is small and inherent in the circuit, but the displacement current through a capacitor equals the conduction current at the capacitor, correct?

Correct

1. What is a vacuum interrupter contact?

A vacuum interrupter contact is a type of electrical switch used in high voltage applications. It consists of two metal contacts separated by a vacuum, which acts as an insulating medium. When the contacts are closed, an electrical circuit is completed, allowing current to flow. When the contacts are opened, the vacuum acts as a barrier, preventing the current from arcing and damaging the contacts.

2. How does a vacuum interrupter contact work?

When the contacts of a vacuum interrupter are closed, an electric current flows through the contacts and the vacuum. This creates a magnetic field around the contacts, which helps to keep the arc from forming. When the contacts are opened, the current is interrupted, and the magnetic field collapses, breaking the circuit and extinguishing the arc. The vacuum helps to prevent the arc from reigniting, allowing for a quick and safe interruption of the current.

3. What is displacement current?

Displacement current is a concept in electromagnetism that describes the flow of electric charge that occurs when an electric field changes over time. It is represented by the symbol "Id" and is measured in amperes. Displacement current is a fundamental part of Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does displacement current relate to vacuum interrupter contacts?

In vacuum interrupter contacts, displacement current is important because it helps to maintain the electric field between the contacts. This electric field is what keeps the arc from forming and helps to quickly extinguish the arc when the contacts are opened. Without displacement current, the electric field would weaken, and the contacts would be more prone to arcing and damage.

5. What are the advantages of using vacuum interrupter contacts?

There are several advantages to using vacuum interrupter contacts. These include high reliability, fast interruption of current, and low maintenance requirements. Vacuum interrupters also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of interrupters, such as air or oil-filled interrupters. They are also more environmentally friendly, as they do not contain any hazardous substances. Additionally, vacuum interrupters can handle high voltage and current levels, making them suitable for use in a wide range of applications.