Boundary conditions for 3d current flow through water

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding current flow through a 3D body of water using potential, voltage, and charge distribution. The main objective is to calculate the electric field, potential, and current field between two electrodes placed in a tank of water. However, the boundary conditions are not clear and the medium of water is both conductive and convective, making it more complex. The solution also involves using Maxwells equations and potentially iterating to find the charge distribution. The speaker seeks insights from experts to help with this problem.
stevecarson
I've forgotten a lot of field theory so I've been rereading it in a couple of electric field theory textbooks. What seems like a simple problem falls between the cracks. I hope some readers can help - it will be appreciated.

My application seems simple (solution will require numerical FEA but that is fine), but the boundary conditions to the problem are not clear to me. Find current flow through a 3d body of water.

Problem - tank of water of known conductivity (e.g. tap water, σ = 0.03 S/m). Tank dimensions are known (e.g. 2m x 0.8m diameter with insulating boundary and air above the water). Two electrodes of known dimensions and locations (e.g. each is 0.1m high x 0.01m wide x 0.001m thick, placed 0.5m apart across the center of the tank). But I want to play around with these and they won't always be identical and located symmetrically.

Find - potential (voltage) field, current (vector) field, and main objective, the current flow between the electrodes.

Potential field, V(x,y,z) should be easy. But it's not. The potential field, V, is always given as ∑ Qi/ri.4πε. I know the voltage at my two electrodes - because I have applied it from a constant voltage source like a battery. Let's say 5v. How does that relate to the charge distribution needed to calculate the electric field, E and potential E=∇V ??

Current field, J(x,y,z) = σE = σ∇V.
This will be easy once V(x,y,z) is calculated, but is water a conductive or convective medium for current? I think conductive (like current flow in metals rather than electron flow through a vacuum), but it's not clear from any text I have read.

The real equation should probably be the Poisson equation, ∇2V=ρ/ε, which follows from ∇. J=ρ and J = σ∇V, but again the boundary conditions aren't clear for reasons already stated - and do I need to iterate to find the charge distribution from the current flow and insert charge distribution back in the equation?
(That is, first iteration, only the charge at the terminals exists, but second iteration, some charge is in the water flowing between the terminals and affecting the electric field, so keep iterating until result converges).

It should all be clear, but it's not. I would really appreciate insights from any experts.

Thanks
Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
The potential, electric firld, and charge distribution, are related via Maxwells equations.
Water is both conductive and convective... due to the presence of ions in solution: it is not a simple homogeneous substance.
Your boundary conditions will depend on what the tank is made out of.
Good luck.

1. What are boundary conditions for 3d current flow through water?

Boundary conditions for 3d current flow through water refer to the set of rules or conditions that must be taken into account when studying the behavior of electric currents in three-dimensional water systems. These conditions typically involve the physical properties of the water, such as its viscosity and conductivity, as well as external factors like the presence of other materials or structures in the water.

2. How do boundary conditions affect the flow of current through water?

The boundary conditions have a significant impact on the flow of current through water. They can determine the direction and intensity of the current, as well as the formation of eddies and other flow patterns. In addition, the boundary conditions can also affect the resistance of the water and the efficiency of the current flow.

3. Are there different types of boundary conditions for 3d current flow through water?

Yes, there are various types of boundary conditions that can be applied to 3d current flow through water. Some common examples include no-slip boundary conditions, which assume that the water molecules at the boundary do not move relative to the boundary, and free-slip boundary conditions, which allow for some movement of the water molecules at the boundary.

4. How do scientists determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific 3d current flow through water scenario?

Determining the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific 3d current flow through water scenario requires a combination of theoretical analysis and experimental data. Scientists may use mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of the current under different conditions, and then validate these predictions through physical experiments.

5. Can boundary conditions change over time in 3d current flow through water?

Yes, boundary conditions can change over time in 3d current flow through water. This can occur due to external factors such as changes in temperature or the addition of new materials to the water. In addition, the behavior of the current itself can also influence the boundary conditions, as the flow of water can cause changes in the properties of the boundary.