Vacuum pair creations on the light-cone

In summary: I see, so the Casimir effect is due to the virtual particles created by the strong electric field. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!I see, so the Casimir effect is due to the virtual particles created by the strong electric field. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!
joly
When a field is quantized on the light front, there is no possible pair creation from the vacuum energy. This is because kinematic operator P^+ generates only a positive spectrum ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_front_quantization#Spectral_condition ). So there is no "particles popping out of the Dirac Sea." I have been looking for an intuitive explanation for this. Does someone knows of one?

Physics news on Phys.org
The intuitive explanation is that nothing ever is "popping out of the vacuum". The vacuum is nothing, and nothing can pop out of nothing. There's also no Dirac sea. It's just gotten rid of by normal ordering in the operator formalism or by renormalization of the total charge and and total energy, momentum, and angular momentum of the vacuum (all of these quantities are set to 0 in the vacuum state). Dirac's hole-theoretic formulation of QED is fortunately overcome by modern formulations of QFT.

Any other claim is just popular-science confusion for the public (which in fact deserves better explanations by scientists, because after all the tax payers are funding most of the fundamental research we do all over the world!). Also have a look at the newest Insights article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/vacuum-fluctuation-myth/

vanhees71 said:
The intuitive explanation is that nothing ever is "popping out of the vacuum". The vacuum is nothing, and nothing can pop out of nothing. There's also no Dirac sea. It's just gotten rid of by normal ordering in the operator formalism or by renormalization of the total charge and and total energy, momentum, and angular momentum of the vacuum (all of these quantities are set to 0 in the vacuum state). Dirac's hole-theoretic formulation of QED is fortunately overcome by modern formulations of QFT.

Any other claim is just popular-science confusion for the public (which in fact deserves better explanations by scientists, because after all the tax payers are funding most of the fundamental research we do all over the world!). Also have a look at the newest Insights article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/vacuum-fluctuation-myth/

Right, the language of Dirac sea is outdated, which is why I put it in quote. I am sorry for using an old image. But surely, that there are virtual particle creations out the vacuum, which can be materialized if a field is present, is still a fact: That is the basis for the Casimir effect, people go to great (CPU-)pain to add disconnected diagrams when the do lattice computation, etc... The textbook from which I learned QFT is fairly modern (Zee's QFT in a nutshell) and does discuss vacuum fluctuations. These diagrams complicates terribly the calculations and that's why some choose to work on the light-front rather than the instant-front, although the light front is not as intuitive as the instant one (and has other drawbacks). So to rephrase my question, is there an intuitive explanation of why there is no effect of vacuum fluctuations on the light front, while we have to account for these effects on other front forms?

joly said:
there are virtual particle creations out the vacuum, which can be materialized if a field is present, is still a fact: That is the basis for the Casimir effect

Not true.

Likes joly
Vanadium 50 said:
Not true.
You are right, I was thinking of Schwinger pair creations. Apologies. I see also that the Casimir effect is not interpreted anymore in term of vacuum energy. Things have evolved since I learned about QFT...

joly said:
You are right, I was thinking of Schwinger pair creations. Apologies. I see also that the Casimir effect is not interpreted anymore in term of vacuum energy. Things have evolved since I learned about QFT...
It's not true either. The Schwinger effect describes spontaneous pair creation due to a strong electromagnetic field. That's far from being vacuum!

vanhees71 said:
It's not true either. The Schwinger effect describes spontaneous pair creation due to a strong electromagnetic field. That's far from being vacuum!
That is of course what I mean: pair creations under large electric fields, which is why I brought it up in the context of the Casimir effect. The usual interpretation is as pair creation from vacuum . The pair got separated by a large enough electric field. The "borrowed" energy of the virtual pair creations is paid back by the electric field.
see e.g. http://www.qgf.uni-jena.de/gk_quantenmedia/Texte/hebenstreit090623-p-61.pdf

It is NOT "the usual interpretation". It's repeated over and over again in popular-science textbooks. The standard derivation goes back to Schwinger and it's just the nonperturbative transition amplitude from the vacuum to an electron-positron pair due to a strong electric (in this first calculation electrostatic homogeneous) field, and this is not vacuum. The vacuum itself is stable and Poincare invariant. Nothing pops out of nothing. In the cited talk by Florian Hebenstreit it's indeed explicitly treated with standard QED, not with nonsensical "something-poping-out-of-nothing" narratives used by lazy popular-science book authors!

Likes mfb and weirdoguy

1. What is vacuum pair creation on the light-cone?

Vacuum pair creation on the light-cone is a quantum phenomenon in which a pair of particles (one matter and one antimatter) is created from the energy of a vacuum. This occurs when the energy of a system is high enough to overcome the barrier of the energy required to create the particles.

2. How does vacuum pair creation on the light-cone occur?

Vacuum pair creation on the light-cone occurs due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. In this case, the uncertainty in energy and time allows for the temporary creation of particle-antiparticle pairs.

3. What is the role of the light-cone in vacuum pair creation?

The light-cone is a mathematical construct that represents the path of a particle traveling at the speed of light. In vacuum pair creation, the light-cone plays a crucial role in determining the energy and momentum of the created particles, as well as their direction of motion.

4. Can vacuum pair creation on the light-cone be observed?

Yes, vacuum pair creation on the light-cone has been observed in various experiments, such as high-energy particle collisions and in the presence of strong electric fields. However, due to the short-lived nature of the created particles, their observation is often indirect.

5. What are the potential implications of vacuum pair creation on the light-cone?

The phenomenon of vacuum pair creation on the light-cone has important implications in various fields of physics, such as quantum electrodynamics and cosmology. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments, such as near black holes. Additionally, the possibility of harnessing this phenomenon has been explored in the field of quantum computing.