Valance and conduction band in solid.

In summary, solid state physics explains that there are two energy bands that are formed when atoms combine together. The valence band is created by the electrons in the valance shell of the atoms, and the conduction band is created by the electrons in the 2s energy level.
PhysicsBegner
Hi, I have a very basic question on formation of valance and conduction band. It is said that conduction band is above the valance band.

So In a hypothetical lithium molecule formation(for example purpose) : If 100 Lithium atoms combine together, then 1S shell is split into 100 1S shells (one 1S shell and 99 shells closer to it) with 2 electrons each. And 2S shell smiliarly splitted into 100 shells.

In the above example can we say band of energy levesl formed by 1s shell as valance and band of energy levels fromed by 2s energy levels as conduction.

Please correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say the issue is more complicated than this simple treatment. The valence and conduction bands are merely names just to simplify the complicated wave function that takes place due to the combination of the atoms in the space. The 1S "orbit" is not called 1S anymore in quantum mechanics when it's a combination of more than 1 atom, because it's not simply the superposition of the two quantum states. The names become more complicated.

Generally, in solid state physics, we are not concerned at all about individual atoms. I don't know why you're asking this question, maybe you just want to feel more understanding for the matter, but this isn't the right way I guess.

Hope this gave you the picture.

Last edited:
Thank you. I wanted to ask this question because I had a doubt of whether the valance band woluld be formed with electrons in the valance shell of atom. Because some textbooks in electronics co-rellates valance band and valance shell in an atom. And I was wondering then from which part of electrons the conduction band would be formed.

I don't disagree with what TheDestroyer said, but I just want to say that I took a chemistry class in which they explained energy bands in exactly the way you described it, so I think some chemists do think of it this way. Even if it's no longer meaningful to talk about 2s states, orbitals, or whatever, I think these are indeed the states that went into forming the conduction band.

Thank you, If this classical way of explaining band formation in solid is correct. Could we logically think that nucleous of all atoms are at one point; since we say valance band is nearer to atom's nucleous and conduction ban is far away from nulceous?

What is the valence band in a solid?

The valence band is the highest energy band in a solid that is occupied by electrons. It is responsible for the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the optical properties of the solid.

What is the conduction band in a solid?

The conduction band is the energy band in a solid that is empty or only partially filled with electrons. Electrons in this band are free to move and contribute to the electrical conductivity of the solid.

What is the difference between the valence band and the conduction band?

The main difference between the valence band and the conduction band is the energy level of the electrons. In the valence band, electrons are bound to the atoms and have lower energy levels, while in the conduction band, electrons have higher energy levels and are free to move.

How are the valence and conduction bands related to the band gap?

The band gap is the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band. It determines the electrical and optical properties of a solid. A larger band gap means the solid is an insulator, while a smaller band gap allows for more electron movement and makes the solid a better conductor.

How do the valence and conduction bands affect the properties of a solid?

The valence and conduction bands play a crucial role in determining the electrical, thermal, and optical properties of a solid. The number of electrons in these bands, as well as their energy levels, determine how well a solid can conduct electricity, heat, and light.