Valid method of evaluating limit?

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the limit of a function and ultimately concludes that the substitution method is the most efficient. The limit is found to be 1.
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I don't know if the following is valid, so I'll appreciate if someone could tell me if it's ok. I want to find
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using L'Hopital rule doesn't appear to help, because repeatedly differentiating both the top and bottom gives the same limit. So I did a substitution:

[tex]x=a \tan \theta[/tex]
And the problem now becomes [tex]\lim_{\theta \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \sin \theta [/tex] which easily evaluates to 1. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical method would be: a^2 is small compared to infinity, so we can ignore it. Sqrt(x^2)=x, so limit is 1 :P
But yes, I guess your method is just fine.

It's valid, but why would you want to do it that way? Just divide numerator and denominator by x and use algebra. Which is what Zizy is saying.

OK thanks. I got confused for a moment over something.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function approaches as the input value approaches a specific point. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. Why is it important to evaluate limits?

Evaluating limits is essential in understanding the behavior of a function and its graph near a particular point. It helps in determining the continuity and differentiability of a function and is a crucial concept in calculus.

3. What is the valid method of evaluating limits?

The valid method of evaluating limits involves using algebraic manipulation, simplification, and substitution to determine the limit of a function. Other methods such as factoring, rationalization, and L'Hôpital's rule can also be used depending on the type of function.

4. Can limits be evaluated at any point on a function?

No, limits can only be evaluated at points where the function is defined. If the function is undefined at a particular point, the limit at that point does not exist.

5. Are there any special cases when evaluating limits?

Yes, there are two special cases when evaluating limits: indeterminate forms and infinite limits. Indeterminate forms occur when the limit of a function cannot be determined by direct substitution, and additional algebraic manipulation is required. Infinite limits occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input value approaches a particular point.