1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Validate the Stefan Boltzmann equation

1. Nov 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are performing an experiment to validate the Stefan Boltzmann equation. What irradiance would you measure at a temperature of 109C? The emissivity of your thermal heat source is 0.81 and your thermopile measures 0 W/m2 at 27 C when directed towards a blackbody. Submit your answer in units of W/m2, do not include the units in your answer.

Answer tolerance is +/- 0.2%.

2. Relevant equations
    E=σeT^4

3. The attempt at a solution

I presume I have to work out a correction factor like this:
    Ec=081*5.67E-8*300^4=372 W/m2
    Then calculate measured irradiance:
    E=5.67E-8*382^4*1=1207
    Then I have to add the correction factor Ec to E to get the measured irradiance (Em):
    Em=Ec+E=1579 w/m2

Am I doing it right?

Thanks for your answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2

DoItForYourself

Gold Member

Hello,

1. Why do you assume the emissivity to be 1 when the temperature is 382 K?
    2. Why do you add (and not subtract) the correction factor? Just think that your zero is at 372 W/m2.

4. Dec 1, 2017 #3
    1. Ohh, I get it know. I used 1 because of the blackbody, but I know now that is irrelevant. :)
    2.I added the correction factor because the thermopile should measure 0 at 0 Kelvin. Therefore, the measured irradiance is always less by 372 W/m2.

5. Dec 1, 2017 #4

DoItForYourself

Gold Member

Exactly, the measured E must be less than the real by 372 W/m2. So, Emeasured=Ereal-Ecorrection.

Your equation implies that the measured E is bigger than the real E (by 372 W/m2).

6. Dec 1, 2017 #5
    Ohh, yes. I understand it know. Thank you! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted