Validity of Fourier Series Expansion for Non-Periodic Functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sandylam966
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given ∑[itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] n An sin([itex]\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{λL}{\pi c}[/itex] σ(x-[itex]\frac{L}{2}[/itex]) + A sin([itex]\frac{\pi x}{2}[/itex]), where L, λ, c, σ and A are known constants, find An.


Homework Equations



Fourier half-range sine expansion.

The Attempt at a Solution



I understand I should expand the RHS as an odd function with period (-L, L) and then compare the coefficients with the LHS, and I do get to correct result. However I didn't understand why I could do so. I mean, originally RHS is NOT a periodic function, that it certainly does not equal the 'constructed' Fourier sine expansion. So how could the coefficients equal since it's actually a different function?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know you get the "correct result"? Do you mean you get the result given in your text?

If so then the given answer is NOT for the given function but for a function defined to be [itex]\frac{\lambda L}{\pi c}\sigma(x-\frac{L}{2})+ A sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})[/itex] on (-L, L) and continued "by periodicity" to the rest of the real numbers.