1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Value of a wave at a time with a phase shift.

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the value of the wave at t = (2, 3, 4, 10) ns

0.4 cos(10^8 * t + (1/3) * y) az

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the last part of a problem. I have already found the phase shift of 1/3 and wavelength of 6 pi.

I have already been given the solution to time = 10 ns it is -0.1665

The professor noted at time 10 ms y=1. This was not given in the problem. He only put it in the solution How the heck did he find this? I realize that the second term in the equation corresponds to a phase shift but If it is in terms of a variable how do I know what it is at time = anything?

Can someone help me figure out how to do this. I can take it from there. This is not for graded homework. I am studying for the final on Monday.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not understand what the y represents. A phase shift is usually just an additive constant, like φ in A cos(ωt+φ). If this is a travelling wave in the X dimension then I would expect A cos(ωt-x/λ+φ), or somesuch, but in that case you would need to specify both t and x to find the value. Can you provide more context for the equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted