Value of a wave at a time with a phase shift.

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of a wave at specific times (2, 3, 4, and 10 ns) using the given equation: 0.4 cos(10^8 * t + (1/3) * y) az. The phase shift and wavelength have already been determined, and the solution for t=10 ns is -0.1665. However, the meaning of the variable y and how to find its value for different times is unclear. Further context is needed to fully understand the equation.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

Calculate the value of the wave at t = (2, 3, 4, 10) ns

0.4 cos(10^8 * t + (1/3) * y) az

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the last part of a problem. I have already found the phase shift of 1/3 and wavelength of 6 pi.

I have already been given the solution to time = 10 ns it is -0.1665

The professor noted at time 10 ms y=1. This was not given in the problem. He only put it in the solution How the heck did he find this? I realize that the second term in the equation corresponds to a phase shift but If it is in terms of a variable how do I know what it is at time = anything?

Can someone help me figure out how to do this. I can take it from there. This is not for graded homework. I am studying for the final on Monday.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand what the y represents. A phase shift is usually just an additive constant, like φ in A cos(ωt+φ). If this is a traveling wave in the X dimension then I would expect A cos(ωt-x/λ+φ), or somesuch, but in that case you would need to specify both t and x to find the value. Can you provide more context for the equation?

What is the value of a wave at a specific time?

The value of a wave at a specific time is determined by its amplitude, which is the maximum height of the wave, and its phase, which is the position of the wave relative to its starting point. The formula for calculating the value of a wave at a specific time is A*sin(2πft + ϕ), where A is the amplitude, f is the frequency, t is the time, and ϕ is the phase shift.

What is a phase shift in a wave?

A phase shift in a wave refers to the amount by which the wave is shifted in time relative to its original starting point. It is measured in degrees or radians and can have a positive or negative value. A phase shift can occur due to various factors such as reflections, refraction, or interference.

How does a phase shift affect the value of a wave?

A phase shift can cause a change in the amplitude of a wave. When two waves with different phase shifts are combined, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude of the wave. This is known as constructive and destructive interference, respectively.

Can the phase shift of a wave be controlled?

Yes, the phase shift of a wave can be controlled by changing the frequency or the time at which the wave is generated. This can be achieved by adjusting the properties of the medium through which the wave is propagating or by using external devices such as filters or delay lines.

What is the importance of understanding the value of a wave with a phase shift?

Understanding the value of a wave with a phase shift is crucial in various fields such as telecommunications, signal processing, and wave optics. It allows scientists and engineers to manipulate and control waves to achieve specific outcomes, such as improving signal quality or creating complex wave patterns.