1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase shift of e.m. wave through a glass plate

1. Apr 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a glass plate of refraction index n and thickness ## \Delta x ## placed between a point monochromatic source S and an observer O, as in picture.

(a) Prove that, if absorption from the plate is neglegible, then the effect on the wave received by O is the add of a phase difference ##-\omega (n-1)\Delta x/c## without changing the amplitude ##E_0## .

(b) If the phase shift is small, (##\Delta x \sim 0## or ##n \sim 1##) prove that the wave received by O can be seen as the superposition of the original wave of amplitude ##E_0## and a wave of amplitude ##E_0 \omega (n-1) \Delta x/c##, with a phase shift of ##\pi/2##.
    Immagine.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##E(x,t)=E_0 cos (kx-\omega t)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For (a) I know that there is a path difference between a wave that propagates in air and a wave that propagrates in the plate which is ##n \Delta x## and from this derives a phase shift as in the text. Nevertheless I'm not really sure how can I prove it.

Anyway most of my doubts are about point (b). I find it difficult to understand where to start to prove this fact, any help is highly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume the original wave ##E(x,t)=E_0 \sin (kx-\omega t)##. The glass slab causes a phase shift, so the new wave at O is ##E(x,t)=E_0 \sin (kx-\omega t + Φ)##. Apply the addition law for sin (α+β) taking α=kx-ωt and β=Φ=(n-1)Δxω/c. Use that the phase difference Φ is small, so cos(Φ)≈1 and sin(Φ)≈Φ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted