Value of g on Earth with a smaller radius

In summary, the value of g would be four times the value of gnew if the radius of the Earth was decreased by half while maintaining the same mass.
Jimmy25
What would be the value of g if the radius of the Earth was decreased by half while maintaining the same mass.

This is what I did

g = MG / R^2

g = MG / (0.5R)^2

g = MG / 0.25R^2

0.25g = MG / R^2

I know this is not correct and the actual answer is 4g because as you get closer to the center of the Earth the gravitational force will increase but I cannot figure out why this attempt is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jimmy25! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Jimmy25 said:
What would be the value of g if the radius of the Earth was decreased by half while maintaining the same mass.

g = MG / 0.25R^2

0.25g = MG / R^2

Why did you put that 0.25 on the LHS? :confused:

What you have initially is the gravitational acceleration due to the Earth while you're at the surface, or at a distance R. You then manipulated the equation to ask not what the value of g would be at the surface if the radius was half as large, but what would the value of the acceleration be at that same distance R if the radius was half as large.

What I would do is setup a ratio, g' and g, where g' is at the surface of some planet with radius R' with the same mass, but then take R' = 0.5R and divide the two equations.

you confuse the values of g before and after the shrinking of the earth

you have g_old = MG/R^2

now g_new is MG/(0.5*R)^2

and (0.25)*g_new = MG/R^2 = g_old so

g_new = 4*g_old, as expected

willem2 said:
(0.25)*g_new = MG/R^2 = g_old so

g_new = 4*g_old, as expected

Ok I see. So gold was equal to one quarter gnew

Thanks, was racking my brain over this one. Sometimes the simplest question can be the most challenging.

1. What is the value of g on Earth with a smaller radius?

The value of g, or the acceleration due to gravity, on Earth with a smaller radius would be higher than the current value of 9.8 m/s². This is because g is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the square of the radius. So, as the radius decreases, the value of g increases.

2. How much smaller would the radius of Earth have to be for the value of g to significantly change?

The radius of Earth would have to decrease by a significant amount, approximately 21%, for the value of g to change by 1 m/s². This would result in a smaller and denser planet, with stronger surface gravity.

3. How does the change in radius affect the weight of an object on Earth?

The change in radius would affect the weight of an object on Earth by increasing it. This is because the weight of an object is directly proportional to the value of g. So, with a smaller radius and higher value of g, the object would experience a greater gravitational force and thus have a higher weight.

4. Would the change in radius also affect the length of a day on Earth?

Yes, the change in radius would also affect the length of a day on Earth. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity must remain constant. As the radius decreases, the moment of inertia decreases, causing the angular velocity to increase and resulting in shorter days.

5. How would a smaller radius of Earth impact its overall structure and composition?

A smaller radius of Earth would have a significant impact on its overall structure and composition. It would result in a denser and more compact planet, with a thicker and more compressed atmosphere. The core would also be larger and hotter, possibly leading to more volcanic and tectonic activity. Additionally, the change in gravitational force would affect the shape and size of the planet, potentially altering its overall appearance.