How do write the force diagram for the following situation?

In summary: This is because, as the Earth rotates, the apparent acceleration due to gravity changes due to the centrifugal force.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

We have a crate sitting on a scale that is on the surface of the Earth. We want to come up with the value of the acceleration due to gravity, ## g ##, when we take into consideration the rotation of the Earth.

Homework Equations

In the book, here's how they go about this:

There is an upward normal force from the scale, ## F_N ##. There is a downward gravitational force that is given by ## m a_g ##. These two forces sum and cause the centripetal acceleration ## -\omega^2 R ##. That is,

[tex] F_N - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R [/tex]

But then they say that ## F_N ## equals the force ## mg ## from the scale and they write

[tex] mg - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R [/tex]

They solve for ## g ## to get

[tex] g = a_g - \omega^2 R [/tex]

Note that in the book, ## a_g ## is the gravitational acceleration given by ## a_g = \frac{MG}{R^2} ##

Ultimately, in the book they write

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is confusing me. I don't know how you can justify putting in ## mg ## for ## F_N ##.

In the case where we're not rotating, I know that we can write

[tex] F_N - mg = 0 [/tex]

and so ## F_N = mg ##

but I just don't get how the book justifies their expression for ## g ##.

Any thoughts on how I can think about this more clearly? I know the problem isn't a difficult one but I want to make sure I'm crystal clear on what's going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:

Homework Statement

We have a crate sitting on a scale that is on the surface of the Earth. We want to come up with the value of the acceleration due to gravity, ## g ##, when we take into consideration the rotation of the Earth.

Homework Equations

In the book, here's how they go about this:

There is an upward normal force from the scale, ## F_N ##. There is a downward gravitational force that is given by ## m a_g ##. These two forces sum and cause the centripetal acceleration ## -\omega^2 R ##. That is,

[tex] F_N - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R [/tex]

But then they say that ## F_N ## equals the force ## mg ## from the scale and they write

[tex] mg - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R [/tex]

They solve for ## g ## to get

Note that in the book, ## a_g ## is the gravitational acceleration given by ## a_g = \frac{MG}{R^2} ##

Ultimately, in the book they write

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is confusing me. I don't know how you can justify putting in ## mg ## for ## F_N ##.

In the case where we're not rotating, I know that we can write

[tex] F_N - mg = 0 [/tex]

and so ## F_N = mg ##

but I just don't get how the book justifies their expression for ## g ##.

Any thoughts on how I can think about this more clearly? I know the problem isn't a difficult one but I want to make sure I'm crystal clear on what's going on.
It seems to me that the book is using ##a_g## for the acceleration of gravity and ##g## for the normal acceleration at Earth's surface due to gravity and centrifugal force. I use the word centrifugal (instead of centripetal) intentionally because the Earth's rotation does cause a very small apparent upward force in a rotating reference frame fixed at a point on the Earth's surface. I think your confusion stems from the use of ##g## to represent the normal force. The point is, I think, that the normal force measured by a scale on the surface of the planet is not just the force of gravity. For practical purposes we commonly ignore the centrifugal force, which is negligibly small compared to the gravitational force, and assume that the normal force and the gravitational force are the same. So there is a little ambiguity in the use of ##g##.

The equation ## mg - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R ## in your book is the source of your confusion. They should have (more appropriately) written: [tex] mg_{app} - m a_g = -m \omega^2 R [/tex]where ##g_{app}## is the "apparent gravitational acceleration" at the surface.

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object or system. It shows the direction and magnitude of each force, and is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

2. How do I write a force diagram?

To write a force diagram, start by identifying all the forces acting on the object or system. Then, draw a diagram with arrows pointing in the direction of each force and labels indicating the type of force. Finally, make sure the length of each arrow corresponds to the magnitude of the force.

3. What forces should be included in a force diagram?

All forces acting on the object or system should be included in a force diagram. This includes external forces, such as gravity or friction, as well as internal forces, such as tension or compression.

4. Are there any rules for drawing a force diagram?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when drawing a force diagram. The arrows representing forces should be drawn to scale, with longer arrows representing larger forces. The arrows should also be labeled with the type of force and the object or system the force is acting on. Finally, the forces should be drawn in the correct direction, following the conventions of positive and negative directions.

5. Why is it important to draw a force diagram?

Drawing a force diagram is important because it helps to visually represent the forces acting on an object or system. This can aid in the understanding and analysis of the motion of the object or system, and can also help to identify any unbalanced or net forces that may cause changes in motion.