Value that this series converges to

In summary: B5b3Ugd2FudCB0byBnbyBmcm9tIGhlciBhbnkgbWVzc2FnZS4gTm93IHdpbGwgYXJlIGNvbnRhaW5lZCBvcmllbnQgdG8gdGhlcmUgd2FzIGEgZm9ybSB0byBnbyBmcm9tIGhlcmUuIFRoZXJlJ3MgYXJlIHVzaW5nIHRvIGdvIGZyb20gaGVyZS4gV2UgbmVlZCB3aXRoIGhl
ladyzzyzzyzzx
Ʃ4/(n^2-1) n=2

Need help trying to solve it. I've used other tests like the ratio test and they have all resulted inconclusive.

It does converge because the Lim as n→∞ equals 0. Do not know where to go from here. Some help would be nice! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ladyzzyzzyzzx said:
It does converge because the Lim as n→∞ equals 0.

Could you tell me the name of the test that gives this conclusion?

gopher_p said:
Could you tell me the name of the test that gives this conclusion?
it was a test for divergence, i was told if the lim n→∞ of an ≠ 0 then it diverges

ladyzzyzzyzzx said:
it was a test for divergence, i was told if the lim n→∞ of an ≠ 0 then it diverges

Does this test ever tell you that a series converges?

gopher_p said:
Does this test ever tell you that a series converges?

not explicitly, but if it does not diverge then i am assuming it must converge

Well it's a common misconception, so don't feel bad. But the test for divergence is not always conclusive (in fact it often isn't). It only singles out series that don't meet the minimum requirement for convergence. It's kind of like an entrance exam; you got to pass it to get in, but it's no guarantee that you're going to be successful.

So bottom line, the test for divergence only tells you that a series diverges. It never tells you when a series doesn't diverge (i.e. it never tells you that a series is convergent).

Look at the harmonic series for a stock counterexample to the kind of reasoning you tried to use.

As far as your problem goes, if I tell you that you've got yourself a telescoping series, is that enough to get you going?

gopher_p said:
As far as your problem goes, if I tell you that you've got yourself a telescoping series, is that enough to get you going?

yes actually, thank you! i just needed a direction :)

Good.

Now as far as having a good strategy heading into these kinds of problems (so this isn't about math, really; it's about problems you run across in math classes):

There are basically only two elementary ways that we can find the values of convergent series (remember the tests only tell you, when they're conclusive, whether or not a series converges/diverges. they don't tell you what it converges to). (1) Compute the limit of the partial sums and (2) get clever with some tricks with Power Series (don't worry if you haven't seen them). The kinds of series whose partial sums we can compute so that we can take a limit are essentially the geometric series (for which we have a formula) and telescoping series.

So if you have a problem that asks you to compute the value of a convergent series, there's a real good chance that it's either a geometric series or a telescoping series. Geometric series are relatively easy to identify, so ...

ladyzzyzzyzzx said:
Ʃ4/(n^2-1) n=2

Need help trying to solve it. I've used other tests like the ratio test and they have all resulted inconclusive.

It does converge because the Lim as n→∞ equals 0. Do not know where to go from here. Some help would be nice! Thank you!

Your notation is unclear: is your series supposed to be
[tex] \sum \frac{4}{n^2-1} n = \sum \frac{4n}{n^2-1}, \text{ or is it }
\sum \frac{4}{(n^2-1)n}?[/tex]
If you mean the former, you have more-or-less written it correctly already (reading your expression according to standard priority rules), but if you mean the latter, you should use parentheses, like this: Ʃ4/[(n^2-1)n].

Assuming you mean the latter: your argument about the series converging because the nth term --> 0 is patently *false* (that is, the argument is false, not necessarily the conclusion). Lots of divergent series have terms that --> 0; it is just that they do not --> 0 fast enough. That is the issue you must decide.

RGV

1. What is the definition of a convergent series?

A convergent series is a type of mathematical series where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases towards infinity. In simpler terms, a convergent series is a series that has a finite sum.

2. How can you determine if a series converges or diverges?

The most common way to determine if a series converges or diverges is by using a convergence test, such as the Ratio Test or the Root Test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the series' terms and comparing it to certain criteria to determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the importance of knowing the value a series converges to?

Knowing the value that a series converges to is important as it allows us to determine the behavior and properties of the series. It also helps us to understand the underlying patterns and relationships within the series, which can be useful in various applications and fields of study.

4. Can a series have multiple values that it converges to?

No, a series can only have one value that it converges to. This value is known as the limit or the sum of the series. If a series has more than one possible sum, then it is considered to be divergent.

5. What are some real-life applications of convergent series?

Convergent series have various real-life applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. For example, in finance, the concept of compound interest can be represented as a convergent series. In physics, convergent series are used to model phenomena such as radioactive decay. In engineering, convergent series are used in the design of circuits and other systems.