1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Values for b such that sum over b^log n converges

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    What are all the positive values of "b" for which the series summation(b^log n) converges.

I think we must find the values of b for which the sequence of partial sums form a bounded sequence. But it gets complicated when I try to solve the inequality
    "summation of k from 1 to n of (b^log k)< or equal to some M".

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: series

Since those are all positive terms, I would be more inclined to use the ratio test: Look at b^log(n)/b^log(n+1) as n goes to infinity. You can use exponential and logarithm properties to simplify that.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    Re: series

Thanks HallsofIvy, I tried that and I got 0<b<1 by just solving b^log(n)/b^log(n+1) <1. I am not sure how to introduce the limsup part. I mean, when I try to solve limsup [b^log(n)/b^log(n+1)] <1; I get lim as n-->inf of b^log(n+1/n) <1 which gives me b^ln1<1 and that gives me 1<1.
    How do I get rid of that contradiction?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?