Values of k s.t. the series converges

• Thread starter v0id19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem asks for which positive integers k the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(n!)^2}{(kn)!}} is convergent. Different convergence tests are suggested, and the attempt at a solution involves simplifying the series and using the limit comparison test. However, it is determined that for the series to converge, there must be more terms on the bottom of the fraction than on the top, leading to the conclusion that k must be greater than 2. Further testing using the ratio test is suggested.
v0id19

Homework Statement

For which positive integers k is the following series convergent?
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(n!)^2}{(kn)!}}[/tex]

the latex code is acting weird, i'll put it in regular text too:
Sum (n=1 --> infinity) (n!)2/(kn)!

Homework Equations

To test for convergence, I can use the alternating series test, limit comparison test, comparison test, ratio test, root test

The Attempt at a Solution

I canceled one of the n! on top with part of the (kn)! on the bottom to get:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{\frac{(n!)}{(n+1)(n+2)...(kn-1)(kn)}}[/tex]

w/o latex:
Sum (n=1 --> infinity) (n)!/[(n+1)(n+2)...(kn-1)(kn)]
I asked another teacher about this (my calc teacher says we can use any resource except him for this problem) and he said that in order for it to converge, there must be more terms on the bottom of the fraction than on top (so the limit as n-->infinity of each term is zero). Therefore, I have n terms on top and kn-n on the bottom, so:
[tex]n\le kn-n[/tex] n=<kn-n
and thus
[tex]2n\le kn[/tex] 2n=<kn
[tex]2\le k[/tex] 2=<k

So k must be greater than 2, but my problem is that I don't think this proves the series converges, merely that the terms approach zero as n gets very large. Is my thinking correct (in which case help please), or does this indeed prove convergence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to the original unsimplified series, use k=2, and try ratio test.

1. What is the "k" value in a convergent series?

The "k" value in a convergent series refers to the index or subscript of the terms in the series. It is used to indicate the position of a term in the series and is often used in mathematical notation to show the relationship between terms.

2. How do I determine the values of k that will make a series converge?

The values of k that will make a series converge depend on the specific series being examined. In general, there are various tests that can be used to determine convergence, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve manipulating the series and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series to determine if it will converge or not.

3. Can the values of k in a convergent series be negative?

Yes, the values of k in a convergent series can be negative. The sign of k does not affect the convergence of a series, as it only indicates the position of a term in the series. However, in some cases, negative values of k may make it more difficult to apply convergence tests, so it is important to consider the sign of k when analyzing a series.

4. Is there a specific range of values that k can have in a convergent series?

No, there is no specific range of values that k can have in a convergent series. As long as the series meets the necessary conditions for convergence, any value of k can be used. However, it is important to note that certain values of k may make it easier or more difficult to determine the convergence of a series, as mentioned in the previous answer.

5. How do I know if the values of k in a series will cause it to diverge?

The values of k that will cause a series to diverge depend on the specific series and cannot be determined without analyzing the series itself. As mentioned before, there are various tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence, and these can be applied to the series to determine the effect of the values of k. If the series fails one of these tests, it will be considered divergent.