Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable frequency drive for high speed spindle

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    I operate a CNC router table with a high speed spindle. I'm looking to upgrade to a new spindle but need to know if the variable frequency drive I currently have will work with this new spindle.

The new spindle has the following stats: 300Hz, 1kw, 18000RPM.

The frequency drive is made by LS Industrial Systems - Starvert SV008IC5-1F

The info on their website suggests that this particular drive can reach 400HZ, but I’m not sure about the other details, especially whether or not 1kw is too high.

More info is available using this link:

http://eng.lsis.biz/product/product/introduce/ecatalog_viewStream.asp?catalog_id=288&fileNum=1

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    Cool to see another CNC person here, I've did my own X2 CNC Mill conversion recently.

The "008" of "SV008IC5-1F" says it's 0.75 kw time to upgrade to get those faster IPM speeds.

btw have you tried CNCzone.com before, people there are good at answering CNC stuffs like this.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    I'm wondering if the 0.75KW motor rating - as shown in the PDF manual - relates to the motor within the frequency drive, and not it's output. Does anyone know if a frequency drive has a motor? My knowledge of these devices is quite poor.

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The specs indicate the rating for the motor being driven. Looks like the model you are considering (SV008IC5-1F) would drive a 1 HP (0.75kW) load. If your spindle motor is rated at 1kW then I would consider something a little larger; maybe the SV015IC5-1F.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook