1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable of an equation is in the denominator

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1/x - 1/a = 1/b

Solve for x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used to be able to do this in high school, but now I am 43! Normally, I would just cross-multiply and solve for x, to get the x out of the denominator, but you cannot cross-multiply if there is more than one numerator! Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: a*(1/a) = 1

What can you do to both sides to get rid of that 1/x?

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two ways to approach this:
    1: Do the subtraction on the left: since the two denominators are "a" and "x", the "common denominator is ax. Multiplying numerator and denominator of the first fraction by a and the second by x, we have a/ax- x/ax= b so that (a- x)/ax= 1/b. At this point, I would multiply on both sides by abx: b(a- x)= ax so that ba- bx= ax. Can you finish this?

2. Get the x alone on one side by adding 1/a to both sides: 1/x= 1/a+ 1/b. You can add the two fractions on the right by, as before, getting a common denominator: 1/x= b/ab+ a/ab= (b+ a)/ab. Then get x by taking the reciprocal of both sides.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4
    Fabulous! Yes, I can do it:

ba - bx = ax

1. Factor out the b:

b(a - x) = ax

2. Distribute:

ab - bx = ax

3. Get all the x's on one side:

ab = bx + ax

4. Factor out the x:

ab = x(b + a)

5. Solve for x:

ab/(b + a) = x

Thank you! The key was finding the common denominator to make a single fraction out of the two terms (is "term" the correct word here?) or two fractions.

I just learned a new rule from the above:

If x/y = a/b, then y/x = b/a, provided that none of the terms here equal zero

Thank you for that too!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  6. Aug 3, 2013 #5
    Ok, thanks for the hint. It's been a long time, I wasn't able to solve the above until I learned from HallsofIvy to find the common factor for the two denominators of the fractions on one side.

So here goes, using your method:

1/x - 1/a = 1/b

b(1/x - 1/a) = b(1/b)

b/x - b/a = b/b

b/x - b/a = 1

ba/xa - bx/xa = 1

(ba - bx)/xa = 1

1(xa) = 1(ba - bx)

xa + bx = ba

x(a + b) = ab

x = ab/(a + b)

Wow! Both solutions in both of my posts match. Thank you!

7. Aug 3, 2013 #6
    Mileena, in your first with a solution your first two steps are unnecessary.

You said to factor and distribute (virtually undoing the factoring.

It is not wrong and you came to the right answer, I just wanted to point it out so that you know you can start the problem from step 3.

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7
    Of course you are right Jufro! Thank you.

In my preparation the last week for the pre-calculus assessment test I will be taking in a few days, I became more comfortable with that! I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that sequence.

Also, sorry for my late reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted