Variables in a centripetal motion problem

In summary, an object of mass M on a string is whirled in a horizontal circle. When the string breaks, the object has the speed v0, the circular path is radius R, and the height of the object above the ground is h. The time it takes for the object to hit the ground is t = sqrt(2h/g).
dominus96

Homework Statement

An object of mass M on a string is whirled in a horizontal circle. When the string breaks, the object has the speed v0, the circular path is radius R, and the height of the object above the ground is h.

In terms of h, v0, and g, what is the time it takes for the object to hit the ground?

Homework Equations

h = v0t + gt^2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to begin. I have the equation, and need to solve for time (t) but don't know how to get that variable isolated. Is there some other formula I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint:

If the mass is being whirled in a horizontal circle, then what is its vertical velocity?

It would be 0, correct?

So then h = gt^2/2

And so t = sqrt(2h/g)

Is that right?

Sounds good to me.

Thank you, but I have 2 more parts to the problem I need to solve.

(a) What is the horizontal distance it travels? (using h, v0, and g again)

(b) Determine the tension in the string just before it breaks.

For part (a) I know S = vt, and I can use my t that I just solved for. But what would be my horizontal velocity (v)?

And for part (b) all I know is F=ma, but don't know how to find the tension. This is the free-body:

Tension
O------------>
l
l
l <-Weight
l
v

a) It gives you the horizontal velocity in the question (speed).

b) Do you know anything else about circular motion? Centripetal acceleration is what you need for this one. Then apply F = ma to this acceleration to find the force (tension).

Ok I got a but I'm still confused about b. Is the tension the same as the centripetal force?

dominus96 said:
Ok I got a but I'm still confused about b. Is the tension the same as the centripetal force?

Yes, it is here.

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving in a circular motion.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and centripetal force?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion also increases.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force is inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass increases, the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion decreases.

4. What variables affect the centripetal force in a circular motion problem?

The variables that affect the centripetal force are the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular path.

5. How do you calculate the centripetal force in a circular motion problem?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.