1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variables This should be easy -- Matched units on LHS & RHS?

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1
    Variable Units
    x Meters (m)
    v Meters per second (m/s)
    t seconds (s)
    a Meters per second squared (m/s^2)

These variables appear in the following equations, along with a few numbers that have no units. In which of the equations are the units on the left side of the equals sign consistent with the units on the right side?

(a) x = vt
    Yes or No?

(b) x = vt + 1/2 at^2
    Yes or No?

(c) v = at
    Yes or No?

(d) v = at + 1/2 at^3
    Yes or No?

(e) v^3 = 2ax^2
    Yes or No?

(f) t = square root(2x/a)
    Yes or No?" itemprop="text">The following table lists four variables along with their units.

Variable Units
    x Meters (m)
    v Meters per second (m/s)
    t seconds (s)
    a Meters per second squared (m/s^2)

These variables appear in the following equations, along with a few numbers that have no units. In which of the equations are the units on the left side of the equals sign consistent with the units on the right side?

(a) x = vt
    Yes or No?

(b) x = vt + 1/2 at^2
    Yes or No?

(c) v = at
    Yes or No?

(d) v = at + 1/2 at^3
    Yes or No?

(e) v^3 = 2ax^2
    Yes or No?

(f) t = square root(2x/a)
    Yes or No?

A B C F are all yes's right and D and E are no's right? If this is correct can someone try walking me through how to show my work for my answer. I can just see with my eyes what is going to work with past experiences but no way to actually describe why.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Try replacing all the variables with the units associated with it, then carry out the operations. For the first one:
    x=vt
    m=(m/s)*s
    Does that work out?

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Also, yes.

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

kng1994, you have to use the homework template when posting a homework question and you absolutely have to write an attempt at a solution.

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Seconded. I was tired last night and not paying attention, otherwise I would have (presumably) mentioned that.
    While you have answers, those answers are not work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted