Variance-covariance matrix of random vector

1. Notation:
    Var(Y) is the variance-covariance matrix of a random vector Y
    B' is the tranpose of the matrix B.

1) Let A be a m x n matrix of constants, and Y be a n x 1 random vector. Then Var(AY) = A Var(Y) A'

Proof:
    Var(AY)
    = E[(AY-A E(Y)) (AY-A E(Y))' ]
    = E[A(Y-E(Y)) (Y-E(Y))' A' ]
    = A E[(Y-E(Y)) (Y-E(Y))'] A'
    = A Var(Y) A'

Now, I don't understand the step in red. What theorem is that step using?
    I remember a theorem that says if B is a m x n matrix of constants, and X is a n x 1 random vector, then BX is a m x 1 matrix and E(BX) = B E(X), but this theorem doesn't even apply here since it requries X to be a column vector, not a matrix of any dimension.

2) Theorem: Let Y be a n x 1 random vector, and B be a n x 1 vector of constants(nonrandom), then Var(B+Y) = Var(Y).

I don't see why this is true. How can we prove this?
    Is it also true that Var(Y+B) = Var(Y) ?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. statdad

statdad 1,479
    Homework Helper

For question 1: the matrix [tex] A [/tex] is constant, so it (and [tex] A' [/tex]) can be factored outside of the expectation. This is the same type of principal you use with random variables (think [tex] E(5x) = 5E(x) [/tex] ).

For 2: Again, [tex] Y [/tex] is a collection of constants, and addition of constants doesn't change the variance of a random variable. In a little more detail:

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    E(Y + B) & = \mu_Y + B \\
    Var(Y+B) & = E[((Y+B) - (\mu_Y + B))((Y+B) - (\mu_Y+B))'] \\
    & = E[(Y-\mu_Y)(Y-\mu_Y)'] = Var[Y]
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

4. 1) But how can we prove it rigorously in the general case of random matrices?
    i.e. how can we prove that
    E(AZ) = A E(Z)
    and E(W A') = E(W) A' ?
    where Z and W are any random matrices, and A is any constant matrix such that the product is defined

2) Thanks for the proof! Now I can see more rigorously why that property is true in the multivariate context.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  5. EnumaElish

EnumaElish 2,483
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) You could start with the 2x2 case then generalize; or use induction.

6. statdad

statdad 1,479
    Homework Helper

Suppose your random matrix is (using the definition of matrix multiplication)

[tex]
    Z = \begin{pmatrix} z_{11} & z_{12} & \dots & z_{1k} \\
    z_{21} & z_{22} & \hdots & z_{2k} \\
    \ddots & \ddots & \ddots & \ddots \\
    z_{m1} & z_{m2} & \dots & z_{mk}
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

and that your constant matrix is [tex] A [/tex] with similar notation for its entries.
    The [tex](r,t)[/tex] entry of the matrix [tex] AZ [/tex] is the random variable given by

[tex]
    \sum_{l=1}^m a_{rl} z_{lt}
    [/tex]

so the expected value of the [tex] (r,t) [/tex] entry is

[tex]
    E\left(\sum_{l=1}^m a_{rl}z_{lt}\right) = \sum_{l=1}^m E\left(a_{rl}z_{lt}\right) = \sum_{l=1}^m a_{rl} E\left(z_{lt}\right)
    [/tex]

The second equality is true since each [tex] a [/tex] value is a constant number and each [tex] z [/tex] is a random variable , so the ordinary rules of expectation apply. What does the equation mean?

a) The left side is the expected value of the [tex] (r,t) [/tex] entry in the matrix [tex] AZ [/tex]

b) The right side is the [tex] (r,t)[/tex] entry in the matrix product of [tex] A [/tex] and the expected value of [tex] Z [/tex] (call this [tex] E(Z) [/tex])

This shows that corresponding elements of [tex] E(AZ) [/tex] and [tex] A E(Z) [/tex] are equal, so

[tex]
    E(AZ) = A E(Z)
    [/tex]

This type of approach works whether you have random variables or random vectors.

7. 1) Once again, thanks for the great proof!

And I suppose the proof of E(W A') = E(W) A', with the constant matrix on the right of a random matrix W, can be done similarly, right?

8. statdad

statdad 1,479
    Homework Helper

Yes, as can the derivations for the case of random and constant vectors.

9. I am trying to modify your proof to prove that E(ZA) = E(Z) A (assuming ZA is defined), but it doesn't seem to work out...

The [tex](r,t)[/tex] entry of the matrix [tex] ZA [/tex] is the random variable given by

[tex]
    \sum_{l=1}^m Z_{rl} a_{lt}
    [/tex]

so the expected value of the [tex] (r,t) [/tex] entry is

[tex]
    E\left(\sum_{l=1}^m Z_{rl}a_{lt}\right) = \sum_{l=1}^m E\left(Z_{rl}a_{lt}\right) = \sum_{l=1}^m a_{lt} E\left(Z_{rl}\right)
    [/tex]

?????

10. statdad

statdad 1,479
    Homework Helper

11. Thanks a lot, statdad! You are of great help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?