Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variances of Physics on Earth

1. Interesting

30.0%
  2. Uninteresting

20.0%
  3. Inscrutable

10.0%
  4. I don't know, I just like polls

40.0%
  1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    Variances of "Physics" on Earth

This is a question on the dynamic nature of the human experience of physics on Earth.

The Earth orbits the Sun, the Sun and our solar system are moving in some sense (at least with respect to the expansion of the universe), and the entire universe is acting upon us to varying extents, most phenomena approaching infinitesimally small in strength like the gravity of Jupiter or the occasional quantum tunneling of your atoms from your body, while others like solar UV rays are sufficiently strong to contribute to cancer. So it seems reasonable to suppose that the "physics," in the broadest sense, of life on Earth is constantly changing.

Do you agree with this supposition? What do we experience most from beyond or within the Earth that alters our physiology? What are the most prominent dynamic phenomena or forces we experience -- such as solar UV radiation, tectonic shifts, magnetosphere fluctuations, etc. -- that we humans don't generally recognize? Or, in metaphor, how would a physicist enumerate the features of the "weather" on Earth to include phenomena significant but less prominent the rain and the clouds and the sky?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2
    Re: Variances of "Physics" on Earth

Electric charge, attraction and repulsion is the predominate force in human existence.

4. Jun 26, 2010 #3

While I do uunderstand your line of thinking, you arent thinking abotu the 4 fundamental forces of physics, and not considering how the things you are mentioning dont change those values.
    sorry, this msg was ment for the thread starter, not you minorwork. my bad on the reply button.

5. Jun 26, 2010 #4

Boy are you fortunate I previewed my reply. I'll clarify my first answer maybe. It was pretty hard to tell what the OP had in mind. You're saying you DO know has me wondering if you are psychic.

A lack of support is one of the instinctual fears of a human infant. Loud noises, the other. Lack of support though is so ingrained that a newborn infant is able to grasp a rope or hair in its hands enough to support its own weight. That support sensed is the repulsive forces of the electric charge which is generally thought of as the electromagnetic force. Sure gravity, the weakest of the four fundamental forces, may attract humans into range of some repulsion at the seat of our pants, soles of our feet, or that rope or hair grasped in our hands. Otherwise there is weightlessness sensed by the inner ear mechanisms -- as well as many others -- that, historically, has meant an imminent annihilation of a continuing existence.

Th OP asked, more or less, "what was the most dynamic force humans experience that we don't generally recognize." I stand by my previous answer that we would not be able to experience touch for one thing without electromagnetic charges. We wouldn't be able to cohere as a colony of diverse cells except by the attractiveness of electric charge's "stickiness" characterized by collagen.

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5

While you are right, I have to metnion that it cant just be touch. Without gravity, the growth process from infant up would result in a slimey puddle of person :). All of the forces play an equal role. without the nuclear forces, our atoms woudlnt hold together, or stay in the right shapes, (electrons at the right distances) either. All for forces

gravity
    electromagnetism (has anybody figured out how its the same as gravity yet?)
    weak nuclear
    strong nuclear

7. Jul 13, 2010 #6

You do not make it clear precisely what your supposition amounts to. You speak of "physics changing", when what you describe looks more like "conditions changing" without any apparent reason to imagine that "physics" in the sense of the underlying principles according to which we have empiric and analytic support for thinking we understand some aspects of the behaviour of the universe well enough to formulate effectively predictive and falsifiable propositions as hypotheses.
    Among these basic principles, or possibly meta-principles, one of the most basic is that the "laws of physics" are the same for each observer.
    If you cannot support some reason to reject, replace, or at least rationally doubt, that assumption, then I am not sure where you are going with your question, or even why.
    Give it a good thunk and try us again.
    Jon

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7

I don't know know about this, I just like polls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook