Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do YOU believe the Earth is flat?

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

http://theflatearthsociety.org/foru...1505d6b5883a9d597b57940b118119b&topic=13876.0

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

my god...

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    All my world maps show the Earth as flat.

5. Jul 16, 2009 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

It is a very interesting website (and society) at the very least...

6. Jul 16, 2009 #5
    It makes perfect sense.

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6
    Notice that this form has an impressive 600,000 posts(PF has 2 mil in comparison, mostly from the "homework help").

How could "Flat earth theory" be about as organized as the largest physics forum(at least in English) on the internet?

8. Jul 16, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Because, alas, it is a big in-joke. Some very respected members of society are Flat-Earthers, and staunchly keep in-character about it, never revealing the joke to outsiders.

9. Jul 16, 2009 #8
    And don't get me started about the great ice wall....

10. Jul 16, 2009 #9

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Do any of their scientific assertions make sense?

11. Jul 17, 2009 #10
    This logic reminds me of Calvin (of the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon), whose father explains why old photographs are black and white. Hilarious!

Calvin: Dad, how come old photographs are always black and white? Didn’t they have color film back then?

Calvin’s dad: Sure they did, in fact, those old photographs ARE in color. It’s just the WORLD was black and white then.

Calvin: Really?

Calvin’s dad: Yep. The world didn’t turn color until sometime in the 1930s, and it was pretty grainy color for a while, too.

Calvin: That’s really weird.

Calvin’s dad: Well, truth is stranger than fiction.

Calvin: But then why are old PAINTINGS in color?! If the world was black and white, wouldn’t artists have painted it that way?

Calvin’s dad: Not necessarily. A lot of great artists were insane.

Calvin: But… but how could they have painted in color anyway? Wouldn’t their paints have been shades of gray back then?

Calvin’s dad: Of course, but they turned colors like everything else did in the 30’s.

Calvin: So why didn’t old black and white photos turn color too?

Calvin’s dad: Because they were color pictures of black and white, remember?

Later…

Calvin: The world is a complicated place, Hobbes.

Hobbes: Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner.

12. Jul 17, 2009 #11
    You know what I hate more than flat earthers? People who switch between miles and kilometers in the same sentence/paragraph/subject.

13. Jul 17, 2009 #12
    John Davis' Model? I didn't know the creator of Garfield was so smart!

I hope for the sake of humanity that this site is one big tongue-in-cheek.

14. Jul 17, 2009 #13
    I adore Calvin and Hobbes, and that dialogue is one of my favourites. :biggrin: I frequently refer to the time when the world was still black and white.

15. Jul 17, 2009 #14
    I was expecting more people to have voted yes because most of us are smart asses here :cool:

16. Jul 17, 2009 #15
    Yeah, the Earth could use some silicone enhancement.

17. Jul 17, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Flat-Earth discussions are specifically banned in the global guidelines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook