Variation Method for Higher Energy States

In summary, the variation method for approximating the ground state eigenvalue requires the trial function to be orthogonal to lower energy eigenfunctions. The book "Leonard Schiff" mentions a general function ψ that is orthogonal to previous level eigenfunctions. To prove its orthogonality to UEo, a projector P is used, where i sums over lower energy eigenstates and the lower states must be orthonormal. This shows that any linear combination of a lower eigenstate added to psi will be zeroed out by P, proving the orthogonality.
aim1732
The variation method for approximating the the ground state eigenvalue, when applied to higher energy states requires that the trial function be orthogonal to the lower energy eigenfunctions.In that respect this book I am referring(by Leonard Schiff) mentions the following function as the general function orthogonal to the previous level eigenfunction:

ψ - (UEo × ∫((UEo[conjug])ψ dτ)) for any general fn ψ

Can somebody prove the above function's orthogonality to UEo ? I have tried to do it but could not come up with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simply the application of a projector
[tex]P = \bigg(1 - \sum\nolimits_{i=1}^M |i\rangle\langle i|\bigg)[/tex]
to the trial wave function psi, where i sums over the lower energy eigenstates. For this to be valid, the lower states need to be orthonormal:
[tex]\langle i | j \rangle = \delta_{ij}[/tex]
(it is always possible to choose a set of eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator in such a way that they are orthonormal to each other; for non-degenerate eigenstates the orthogonality comes automatically).

Now take a closer look at this projector and take into account the lower state orthogonality. You will easily see that if you add any linear combination of a lower eigenstate to psi, this linear combination will be zeroed out by P. Thus
[tex]\langle i|P \psi\rangle=0[/tex]
for any lower eigenstate i and any wave function psi.

Thanks.Got it.

1. What is the Variation Method for Higher Energy States?

The Variation Method is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to approximate the energy levels of a system that cannot be solved exactly.

2. How does the Variation Method work?

The Variation Method involves proposing a trial wave function that is a best guess for the actual wave function of the system. This wave function is then varied and optimized until the lowest possible energy level is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using the Variation Method?

The Variation Method is a versatile and powerful method that can be applied to a wide range of systems, including atoms, molecules, and solids. It also provides a way to improve the accuracy of results compared to other approximation methods.

4. Are there any limitations to the Variation Method?

One limitation of the Variation Method is that it requires a good initial guess for the trial wave function, which can be difficult to obtain for complex systems. It also becomes increasingly difficult to use as the number of particles in the system increases.

5. How is the accuracy of the Variation Method determined?

The accuracy of the Variation Method can be determined by comparing the results to exact solutions, if available, or by using other methods of approximation and comparing the results. The more optimized the trial wave function, the more accurate the results will be.