Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Guessing trial wave function with variational method

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    Hellow

i want to ask about guessing the trial wave function at variational method of approximation

usually for example at solving harmonic oscillator or hydrogen atom we have conditions for trial wave function
    but in fact i want to ask generally how could i make the guessing .. some problems give a particle of mass m moving at certain potential and want to use variational method to find gs energy now how could i guess the trial wavefunction

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

By having solved a number of problems, or seen how others make the choice.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    then it some thing come with experience ?

5. Dec 27, 2016 #4

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

With experience, or with trial and error. Generally one first thinks about the properties the function wanted should have (asymptotic behavior or behavior near distinguished points). Then one selects a class of functions having this property. Often there are paradigmatic exactly solvable cases that show what kind of solution is reasonable, and one can choose similar functions. Normalized wave functions typically decay exponentially. Generic variability is created by polynomial contributions. This suggests an ansatz ##e^{-a|x-x_k|} p(x)## with a polynomial ##p(x)##, or (suggested by the linearity of the Schroedinger equation) linear combinations of these. If one wants to have an easy time in calculating inner products, one uses instead Gaussians times polynomials, etc..Unnormalized ones have an asymptotic form reflecting knowledge about scattering, and again one can make up trial functions with this behavior.

6. Dec 27, 2016 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Variational methods are often not very sensitive to the choice of trial functions, so long as they're not way off.

7. Jan 9, 2017 #6

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

They must have qualitatively the correct form, and the approximation cannot be better than what the ansatz allows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted