Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of Dirac delta function

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    Is it possible to take the variation of the Dirac delta function, by that I mean take the functional derivative of the Dirac delta function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2
    yes you can (its laplace transform is s) and you can even take the derivative of this one although in practice i m not really sure how you can use it

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    Could someone describe this procedure in math symbols? Or maybe point me to a link? Thanks.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

I suppose in principle you could do it. I doubt it would be useful.

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta~\delta(t')} = \delta(t-t').$$

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta \eta(t')} = 0,$$
    where ##\eta(t')## is an arbitrary function not related to the dirac delta function.

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5
    You ask how it would be useful. Let me give some context. We know
    [tex]\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (x - {x_0})dx} = 1[/tex]
    Then suppose that the dirac delta is composed with some other function, f(x). We get
    [tex]\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} = 1[/tex]
    Now, we also know that the variation of a constant is zero,
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[{\rm{constant]}} = 0[/tex]
    So we should have,
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} {\rm{]}} = {\rm{\delta }}[1{\rm{]}} = 0[/tex]
    But the variation of a definite integral is the definite integral of the variation. A variation is like differentiation which commutes with integration. So we have,
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} {\rm{]}} = \int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))f'(x)]dx} [/tex]
    And in order for this to be identically zero, then the integrand must be zero, or
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))f'(x)] = 0[/tex]
    Thus the question about variations of dirac delta functions.

I suppose you could use the chain rule to break this down to
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))]f'(x) + \delta (f(x)){\rm{\delta }}[f'(x)] = 0[/tex]
    So what's the next step? Is it true that
    [tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))] = \frac{d}{{dx}}\{ \delta (f(x))\} \,{\rm{\delta }}x[/tex]

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    As I understand it, if
    [tex]F\left[ {y\left( x \right),z\left( x \right)} \right][/tex]
    then
    [tex]\delta F = \frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial y}}\delta y + \frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial z}}\delta z[/tex]
    So the variation of the Dirac delta of a function, S(x), would be
    [tex]\delta \delta (S(x)) = \frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}}\delta S(x)[/tex]
    And from the wikipedia.com site

[itex]x\frac{{d\delta (x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}} = - \delta (x).[/itex] OR [itex]\frac{{d\delta (x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}} = - \frac{{\delta (x)}}{x}[/itex]

So,
    [tex]\frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}} = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}[/tex]
    And since
    [tex]\delta S(x) = \frac{{dS(x)}}{{dx}}dx[/tex]
    We have,
    [tex]\delta \delta (S(x)) = \frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}}\delta S(x) = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}\delta S(x) = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}\frac{{dS(x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}}dx[/tex]
    Does this all seem right so far? Or is there something special about the Dirac delta that these techniques don't apply? I don't work with the math of variation very often. So I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook