Various Computer Degrees are extremely confusing, PLEASE advise

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between computer engineering, computer science, and software engineering. The person is seeking advice on which field to choose, as they are interested in programming and coding but are unsure about the hardware aspect of computer engineering. They also inquire about job opportunities and salaries in each field. It is suggested to double major in software engineering and computer science or to pursue computer engineering for its flexibility and added knowledge of hardware. It is noted that once a person learns one programming language, it is easy to learn others. Ultimately, the choice depends on the university and the mandatory courses in each program.
Scofield001
Hello, I am in my first year in college and my major is COMPUTER ENGINEERING. However I just learned that computer engineering is supposed to be about hardware stuff, and I love programming and coding, so that means the software stuff. My dream job would be to work at Apple, Microsoft or Google, you know, creating programs/applications, working on new operating systems etc. I learned that what I'm looking is COMPUTER SCIENCE and I wanted to know the difference... I also noticed that there is also SOFTWARE ENGINEERING and i just don't know what the he** to choose? I love programming but I read that computer engineers are taking over the jobs of computer science, so if that's the case i would choose computer engineering and just learn that electrical stuff and hardware stuff that doesn't interest me, but I will learn it, this is my life I'm trying to create so I wouldn't mind learning that but I don't want to end up being an electrician...

What are the starting salaries and what kind of salary can I expect after a few years?

Please advise me as soon as you can as I'm on a deadline and need to make a decision soon...

Looking forward to your answer,

Best regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
It depends on the program. I cannot speak for all schools, however, where I am located when one specializes in Computer Engineering they have to further specialize in 1 of 3 areas. In third year students chose whether they specialize in hardware, communications, or software. Furthermore, regardless of which of these sub fields you chose, the hardware aspect is going to follow. Last year (as cited by my university), Computer Engineers had the greatest starting salary on average out of all the engineering disciplines.

CompSci people don't usually do amazingly well unless you go to Stanford or something. It would probably be best to double in CoE and CS -- it will make you a better overall candidate, and I can't see it being TOO many extra courses.

You will be a lot more diverse this way knowing the hardware and software instead of only software.

But will I learn languages such as C++, Java etc. with Computer Engineering? And will I be able to work as a programmer, you know, create software/applications/programs?

And actually I'm in my first year so what does double in CoE and CS mean and how would I be able to do that?

Scofield001 said:
But will I learn languages such as C++, Java etc. with Computer Engineering? And will I be able to work as a programmer, you know, create software/applications/programs?

And actually I'm in my first year so what does double in CoE and CS mean and how would I be able to do that?

No, you'll learn those in CS.

My suggestion is to double major in software engineering and computer science. Software engineering teaches you principles of software design and working with other programmers and nonprogrammers to make software to specifications. Computer science teaches you a more theoretical view of programming. It's more about the concepts of programming like algorithms and the like. Computer engineering, on the other hand, is about computer hardware and working with it.

You can make software using C++,Java and others irrespective of the specific field of study.

By doing software engineering, you will be focusing on software and only software.

In computer science, there will be a good coverage of the theoretical basis and applications of programming to different fields.

Computer engineering: its university dependent, basically the first couple of years should be common with electrical engineering then the courses start to specialize, it does have some overlap with computer science degree, but this depends on your choice of electives. It does in general cover both aspects of software and hardware.I would recommend computer engineering as its offers more flexibility given you are interested in engineering, you never know if you will maintain the same interests as your study progresses, plus its an engineering degree, else, I would second the computer science degree.

You may want to have a look at the syllabus/study plan of each programme.On a side note, once you learn a single programming language, its never difficult to learn any others (I'm not a computer scientist/software developer but I already know C, C++ and Python).

So computer engineering covers software (if you specialize your last 2 years of BS) with an extra knowledge of hardware while CS specializes only on software? So that means that I would be more valuable as a Computer Engineer, correct? But the thing is, I would like to be a programmer, to program/code software, operating systems and such and not to work with hardware... so with computer engineering I can do that, it will only make me more valuable because of the extra knowledge of hardware?

What do they look more out there when you look for jobs? Which one is more lucrative?

Scofield001 said:
So computer engineering covers software (if you specialize your last 2 years of BS) with an extra knowledge of hardware while CS specializes only on software? So that means that I would be more valuable as a Computer Engineer, correct? But the thing is, I would like to be a programmer, to program/code software, operating systems and such and not to work with hardware... so with computer engineering I can do that, it will only make me more valuable because of the extra knowledge of hardware?

What do they look more out there when you look for jobs? Which one is more lucrative?

Depends on the university. There are certain courses that are MANDATORY in the computer engineering program (regardless of which sub field you specialize in) that focus on hardware. Note, however, much of these courses are the integration of software systems to the hardware.

Scofield001 said:

You can do all the stuff you mentioned with a computer eng. degree. The hardware is not necessarily a bad thing, its more essential, you must learn the basics be it comp. sc. or comp. eng., and depending on what field of software you want to focus on, understanding the hardware can be very important for writing fast programmes.
For example, the assembly language is a low level language but its very handy in some cases, but its hardware dependent and in order to use it you need to know how certain things work in that specific processor/micro-controller/platform.

The extra hardware knowledge is not what will make you more lucrative, its the 'engineering' part that will.Edit: I should also mention that fundamentals of computer hardware are also covered in comp. sc. programmes typically.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer... so you're basically saying that Computer Engineering is better?

Even though I want to program and not hardware, Computer Engineering is still better Computer Science?

There is no better when comparing degrees, its only a matter of preference.

As I mentioned, the first two years of computer engineering are typically electrical engineering courses for most part covering basics of programming, circuits & electronics and so.

This is a sample courses plan (at UIUC):
http://www.ece.illinois.edu/students/ugrad/curriculum/ce-curriculum-06.html#sequence

As you would notice, there is a lot of engineering courses throughout the programme.

What I want to say in plain words, don't underestimate the engineering degree and overlook that it can be very challenging (and even difficult if you are not that interested in it) just for the sake of better employment.

If you like computer science (or software engineering) then study computer science (or software engineering).
What might help you in deciding is looking at the courses plan for each degree.

No, of course I'm not underestimating computer engineering, I just want to say that even though I think I like CS more because hardware doesn't really interest me, if CE has more chances for a job, I would be willing to take it, so I don't care if I like CS more, if CE is better out there for a job, for a living, more money and more chances of employment, of course I'd take CE then.

As most have said: it totally depends on your university as to what each degree covers.

I've seen a college where 'Computer Engineering' was a direct subset of Electrical Engineering (but without courses focused on Power and HVAC). I've also seen a college where 'Computer Engineering' was more closely aligned with the Computer Science program (it was a rigorous computer science program with some of the Engineering theory attached).

Personally - I would put a little more weight on the Engineering-type degree if you want to go into development. The 'hardware knowledge' is not something to be overlooked, but any of those degrees (by title) would get you the job you're looking for - presuming you have the proper skill set with it (I'd wager that you'd be working side by side with folks with several different degrees, including the ones you've listed).

1. What are the different types of computer degrees available?

There are several types of computer degrees available, including computer science, information technology, computer engineering, and software engineering. Each degree focuses on different aspects of computer technology and prepares students for various career paths.

2. What is the difference between computer science and information technology?

Computer science focuses on the theoretical aspects of computing, including algorithms, data structures, and programming languages. Information technology, on the other hand, focuses on the practical application of technology in business and organizations.

3. Which computer degree is best for a career in software development?

A degree in computer science or software engineering would be the best choice for a career in software development. These degrees provide a strong foundation in programming and software development principles.

4. Is it necessary to have a computer degree to work in the technology field?

No, a computer degree is not always necessary to work in the technology field. Many employers value skills and experience over a specific degree. However, having a computer degree can give you a competitive edge and provide a deeper understanding of technology.

5. Can I switch to a different computer degree program if I change my interests?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different computer degree program if your interests change. However, it may require taking additional courses or extending your time in school. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with an academic advisor before making a switch.