Various objects under extreme g forces

• Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation revolved around the destruction of various objects under extreme g-force on an indestructible surface. The objects included a gummy bear, an aluminum beverage can, a log of wood, a chrome steel sphere, a diamond cube, and a hypothetical graphene cylinder. The group discussed the criteria for determining when an object is completely obliterated, and potential factors that may affect the destruction process such as velocity, force orientation, and material properties. It was also suggested that the question is too vague to provide a definitive answer.
windy miller
I have a friend doing an animation of 6 objects under extreme g force. Can anyone offer an opinion on how these objects would look when destroyed by extreme g forces standing on a flat indistructable surface . When will they start to change and be completely obliterated , how would it look? how much g would it take to obliterate these objects?
1. A Gummy Bear
2. An empty aluminum beverage can
3. A log of wood on its side
4. A Chrome steel sphere (3 cm diameter)
5. A diamond cube 5 cm width
6. A (hypothetical) Graphene cylinder 5cm diameter, could this last item exist?

Engineering news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
1. A Gummy Bear
2. An empty aluminum beverage can
Well, those at least you can get a good idea by stepping on them. The beverage can collapse depends on force orientation relative to the cylindrical axis.
windy miller said:
3. A log of wood on its side
Again, stepping on some Balsa wood might give some insight. Probably dependent on grain orientation.
windy miller said:
4. A Chrome steel sphere (3 cm diameter)
5. A diamond cube 5 cm width
Those are brittle so I would expect them to shatter, Diamonds certainly do!
windy miller said:
6. A (hypothetical) Graphene cylinder 5cm diameter, could this last item exist?
Never played with the stuff, so I'll leave hypotheses to others.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. you might get more ideas in the "Science Fiction and Fantasy" forum here.

Likes windy miller
thanks

windy miller said:
completely obliterated

For the sake of discussion, what would be your criteria for "completely obliterated"?

JBA said:
For the sake of discussion, what would be your criteria for "completely obliterated"?
Im going to guess it means completely unrecognisable as the object it once was.

@windy miller, You are the OP so it would seem that you are the one to determine the criteria; although, I admit that is a difficult task; and, is why I posted my inquiry after pondering the issue for a while. Based upon your above criteria, it probably depends very much upon the configuration of the original item.
An item or structure subjected to extreme gravity might leave an identifiable imprint of its horizontal configuration but leave no hint of its overall design or purpose. Heat and other factors might reduce it to a molecular level but, it doesn't appear to me that intense one uniform vertical crushing alone could achieve that.
The crushing effects of overburden gravitational crushing to even almost microscopic thinness is seen in recovered samples of deep Earth mineral strati, but the mineral and it original constituents are still identifiable.
In the case of the crushing of an item by the effects of extreme gravity on the item due to the gravitational gradient across the object's vertical dimension alone, as that gradient reduces so does the gravitational force and the required energy (m*g*h) to resist it.

Likes Astronuc
A sufficiently high acceleration would result in a very high velocity. When that velocity exceeds the speed of sound in the material the structure will be lost and partial melting will take place where the object contacts the plate.

Tom.G said:
The beverage can collapse depends on force orientation relative to the cylindrical axis.
That depends on how you interpret the question. I interpreted it (perhaps incorrectly) as it being a beverage can that has been opened and emptied and left open, it which case it does not depend on orientation since everything would be pushing against a thin wall in all directions.

The OP's question is too vague.

EDIT: oh, wait ... my answer was assuming atmospheric pressure, not G force. With G force it would depend on the orientation of the application of the G force.

1. What is considered an extreme g force?

An extreme g force is any force that is greater than the normal force of gravity on Earth, which is 1 g. Typically, forces above 5 g are considered extreme and can cause significant stress on objects and living organisms.

2. How do objects withstand extreme g forces?

Objects can withstand extreme g forces through various methods such as structural design, materials used, and aerodynamic shaping. For example, airplanes and spacecraft are designed to withstand high g forces by using strong and lightweight materials, as well as aerodynamic shapes to reduce drag and maintain stability.

3. What happens to the human body under extreme g forces?

Under extreme g forces, the human body can experience various physiological effects such as loss of consciousness, vision impairment, and increased heart rate and blood pressure. These effects can be mitigated through training and the use of specialized equipment such as anti-g suits.

4. Can objects break under extreme g forces?

Yes, objects can break under extreme g forces if they are not designed to withstand them. For example, if a car is not structurally sound or if it is traveling at high speeds, it can break apart under extreme g forces during a crash.

5. How do scientists study the effects of extreme g forces?

Scientists study the effects of extreme g forces through various methods such as computer simulations, physical testing, and human trials. They use specialized equipment and facilities such as centrifuges and drop towers to simulate extreme g forces and gather data on the effects on objects and living organisms.