1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Various Problems for Precalculus Exam, Unit 1

1. Jan 1, 2009 #1

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6. Draw a graph of the function f, and determine the intervals on which f is increasing and on which f is decreasing where f(x)=2x3-3x2-12x

9. Suppose the graph of f is given. Using transformations, describe how the graph of the following function can be obtained from the graph of f: y=2f(x+4)-5

21. Find the equation of the horizontal asymptote of the function g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    6. f(x)=2x3-3x2-12x

9. y=2f(x+4)-5

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    6. Calculated graph in which local maximum was (-1,7) and local minimum was (2,-20). Said that for -[tex]\infty[/tex] through -1, y is increasing and for -1 through 2, y is decreasing, and for 2 through [tex]\infty[/tex], y is increasing.

9. (x+4) means left 4, -5 means down 5, 2 means twice the height, - means reflect over x-axis.

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{3x^{2-}2}[/tex] so the horizontal asymptote must equal 0 because the lim g(x) as x[tex]\rightarrow\infty[/tex]=0.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2
    6. I think it was cubic (you have square)
    looks good
    see: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/498/graphmr5.jpg

9. x+4 shifts to left, -5 down.. don't know about "3 means down 3, - means reflect over x-axis." don't see them in the question.

21. Looks wrong.. trying factoring out x^2 from the denominator ...

4. Jan 1, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

For 21, try multiplying and dividing by x^3 and then find the limit.

You could also go about it by reasoning that as x gets arbitrarily large 3x^2 - 2 -> 3x^2. The limit is easy to find then.

5. Jan 1, 2009 #4

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

Thanks! What did you use to generate that graph? (You're correct about the cube rather than square.)

For #9, I was simply trying to find the significance of the other numbers (and that's what I was confused about). Are you saying that all I needed to find were the two that you already said were correct?

As for #21, I'm just stumped. (Also, thank you to jgens for your response, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.) Could somebody please elaborate some more and possibly break the procedure down for me? You can't factor out x^2 from the denominator, can you? The second term doesn't have x^2 in it...

6. Jan 1, 2009 #5
    #
    http://www.padowan.dk/graph/

#
    It's just this thing. You talked about 4 and -5, but there isn't any 3 ...
    y=2f(x+4)-5

Yes, you can factor out. If you don't see how, multiply the denominator by x^2/x^2.

x^2*[1/x^2 * den] and you have your x^2 out.

7. Jan 1, 2009 #6

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

Thanks! I see what you mean now! I really appreciate the help.

About number 9 - I accidentally copied part of the next question on our review sheet into this post. I changed it. It was supposed to say "2 means 2x as high." The negative means flip of axis was accurate. Is this updated version correct :wink:

8. Jan 1, 2009 #7
    For questions like #9, it might be helpful to pick a function.... say f(x) = x^2 or whatever you want and then see what's happening i.e. what's the difference between x^2 and (x+4)^2 (i.e. f(x) and f(x+4))?

9. Jan 1, 2009 #8

jgens

Gold Member

Sorry my post was difficult to understand, I'll explain it better.

If we multiply and divide the function x^3/(3x^3-2x) by x^3 we get (with a little algebraic manipulation) 1/(3-2/x^2). The limit is easy to find then.

My second suggestion arises from the fact that for large x, 3x^2 - 2 is essentially equivalent to 3x^2 - you can show this by using any large value for x; eventually, the difference becomes negligible. Using that logic, it's easy to find the limit.

10. Jan 1, 2009 #9
    I remember reading from an Algebra 2 book this rule to find horizontal asymptotes, which is essentially what jgens et. al. said:
    Both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. Compare the degrees of these polynomials. (To save typing, d_num = "degree of the polynomial in the numerator," and d_den = "degree of the polynomial in the denominator.)
    1) If d_num < d_den, then the horizontal asymptote is y = 0.
    2) If d_num = d_den, then the horizontal asymptote is y = the quotient of the leading coefficients (**** this is what you should use for your #21)
    3) If d_num > d_den, then there is no horizontal asymptote. (There is a slant asymptote.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?