Various Problems for Precalculus Exam, Unit 1

I remember reading from an Algebra 2 book this rule to find horizontal asymptotes, which is essentially what jgens et. al. said:Both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. Compare the degrees of the numerator and denominator.If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, then the x-axis (y=0) is a horizontal asymptote.If the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator, then the horizontal asymptote is governed by the leading coefficient of both the numerator and the denominator. That is, the horizontal asymptote is y=leading coefficient of the numerator / leading coefficient of the denominator.If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator,
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

6. Draw a graph of the function f, and determine the intervals on which f is increasing and on which f is decreasing where f(x)=2x3-3x2-12x

9. Suppose the graph of f is given. Using transformations, describe how the graph of the following function can be obtained from the graph of f: y=2f(x+4)-5

21. Find the equation of the horizontal asymptote of the function g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex].

Homework Equations

6. f(x)=2x3-3x2-12x

9. y=2f(x+4)-5

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

6. Calculated graph in which local maximum was (-1,7) and local minimum was (2,-20). Said that for -[tex]\infty[/tex] through -1, y is increasing and for -1 through 2, y is decreasing, and for 2 through [tex]\infty[/tex], y is increasing.

9. (x+4) means left 4, -5 means down 5, 2 means twice the height, - means reflect over x-axis.

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{3x^{2-}2}[/tex] so the horizontal asymptote must equal 0 because the lim g(x) as x[tex]\rightarrow\infty[/tex]=0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jacksonpeeble said:

Homework Statement

6. Draw a graph of the function f, and determine the intervals on which f is increasing and on which f is decreasing where f(x)=2x2-3x2-12x

9. Suppose the graph of f is given. Using transformations, describe how the graph of the following function can be obtained from the graph of f: y=2f(x+4)-5

21. Find the equation of the horizontal asymptote of the function g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex].

Homework Equations

6. f(x)=2x2-3x2-12x

9. y=2f(x+4)-5

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{3}}{3x^{3}-2x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

6. Calculated graph in which local maximum was (-1,7) and local minimum was (2,-20). Said that for -[tex]\infty[/tex] through -1, y is increasing and for -1 through 2, y is decreasing, and for 2 through [tex]\infty[/tex], y is increasing.

9. (x+4) means left 4, -5 means down 5, 3 means down 3, - means reflect over x-axis.

21. g(x)=[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{3x^{2-}2}[/tex] so the horizontal asymptote must equal 0 because the lim g(x) as x[tex]\rightarrow\infty[/tex]=0.

6. I think it was cubic (you have square)
looks good
see: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/498/graphmr5.jpg

9. x+4 shifts to left, -5 down.. don't know about "3 means down 3, - means reflect over x-axis." don't see them in the question.

21. Looks wrong.. trying factoring out x^2 from the denominator ...

Last edited by a moderator:
For 21, try multiplying and dividing by x^3 and then find the limit.

You could also go about it by reasoning that as x gets arbitrarily large 3x^2 - 2 -> 3x^2. The limit is easy to find then.

rootX said:
6. I think it was cubic (you have square)
looks good
see: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/498/graphmr5.jpg

9. x+4 shifts to left, -5 down.. don't know about "3 means down 3, - means reflect over x-axis." don't see them in the question.

21. Looks wrong.. trying factoring out x^2 from the denominator ...

Thanks! What did you use to generate that graph? (You're correct about the cube rather than square.)

For #9, I was simply trying to find the significance of the other numbers (and that's what I was confused about). Are you saying that all I needed to find were the two that you already said were correct?

As for #21, I'm just stumped. (Also, thank you to jgens for your response, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.) Could somebody please elaborate some more and possibly break the procedure down for me? You can't factor out x^2 from the denominator, can you? The second term doesn't have x^2 in it...

Last edited by a moderator:
jacksonpeeble said:
Thanks! What did you use to generate that graph? (You're correct about the cube rather than square.)

For #9, I was simply trying to find the significance of the other numbers (and that's what I was confused about). Are you saying that all I needed to find were the two that you already said were correct?

As for #21, I'm just stumped. (Also, thank you to jgens for your response, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.) Could somebody please elaborate some more and possibly break the procedure down for me? You can't factor out x^2 from the denominator, can you? The second term doesn't have x^2 in it...

#
http://www.padowan.dk/graph/

#
It's just this thing. You talked about 4 and -5, but there isn't any 3 ...
y=2f(x+4)-5

Yes, you can factor out. If you don't see how, multiply the denominator by x^2/x^2.

x^2*[1/x^2 * den] and you have your x^2 out.

rootX said:
#
http://www.padowan.dk/graph/

#
It's just this thing. You talked about 4 and -5, but there isn't any 3 ...
y=2f(x+4)-5

Yes, you can factor out. If you don't see how, multiply the denominator by x^2/x^2.

x^2*[1/x^2 * den] and you have your x^2 out.

Thanks! I see what you mean now! I really appreciate the help.

About number 9 - I accidentally copied part of the next question on our review sheet into this post. I changed it. It was supposed to say "2 means 2x as high." The negative means flip of axis was accurate. Is this updated version correct :wink:

For questions like #9, it might be helpful to pick a function... say f(x) = x^2 or whatever you want and then see what's happening i.e. what's the difference between x^2 and (x+4)^2 (i.e. f(x) and f(x+4))?

Sorry my post was difficult to understand, I'll explain it better.

If we multiply and divide the function x^3/(3x^3-2x) by x^3 we get (with a little algebraic manipulation) 1/(3-2/x^2). The limit is easy to find then.

My second suggestion arises from the fact that for large x, 3x^2 - 2 is essentially equivalent to 3x^2 - you can show this by using any large value for x; eventually, the difference becomes negligible. Using that logic, it's easy to find the limit.

jgens said:
If we multiply and divide the function x^3/(3x^3-2x) by x^3 we get (with a little algebraic manipulation) 1/(3-2/x^2). The limit is easy to find then.

My second suggestion arises from the fact that for large x, 3x^2 - 2 is essentially equivalent to 3x^2 - you can show this by using any large value for x; eventually, the difference becomes negligible. Using that logic, it's easy to find the limit.
I remember reading from an Algebra 2 book this rule to find horizontal asymptotes, which is essentially what jgens et. al. said:
Both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. Compare the degrees of these polynomials. (To save typing, d_num = "degree of the polynomial in the numerator," and d_den = "degree of the polynomial in the denominator.)
1) If d_num < d_den, then the horizontal asymptote is y = 0.
2) If d_num = d_den, then the horizontal asymptote is y = the quotient of the leading coefficients (**** this is what you should use for your #21)
3) If d_num > d_den, then there is no horizontal asymptote. (There is a slant asymptote.)

1. What topics are typically covered in a Precalculus Unit 1 exam?

The topics covered in a Precalculus Unit 1 exam may vary depending on the specific curriculum, but typically include: functions and their properties, graphing and transformations of functions, solving equations and inequalities, and basic trigonometry concepts.

2. How can I prepare for a Precalculus Unit 1 exam?

To prepare for a Precalculus Unit 1 exam, it is important to review class notes, practice problems, and textbook examples. It may also be helpful to work through additional practice problems from online resources or a review book, and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

3. Are there any specific strategies for solving equations and inequalities on a Precalculus Unit 1 exam?

Yes, some strategies for solving equations and inequalities on a Precalculus Unit 1 exam include: isolating the variable, using inverse operations, and checking solutions for extraneous solutions. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions on the variable and to use proper notation when writing solutions.

4. How important is a strong understanding of functions for a Precalculus Unit 1 exam?

A strong understanding of functions is crucial for success on a Precalculus Unit 1 exam. Functions are a foundational concept in precalculus and are used in many different types of problems. It is important to understand their properties, how to graph them, and how to manipulate them in order to solve more complex problems.

5. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for a Precalculus Unit 1 exam?

Yes, there are many resources available to help prepare for a Precalculus Unit 1 exam. These may include practice problems, review books, online tutorials and videos, and study groups. Your teacher or school may also provide study guides or review sessions to help you prepare.