Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vast computational richness from swapping one proton

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    I think wikipedia says that liquid elements have their electrons nearer the nucleus causing them to move more per moment, causing liquidness. Thus gallium at meltpoint apparently goes through vastly more quantum transitions than say either of its periodic table neighbors Zinc or Germanium.

What I am wondering is if Zinc or Germanium undergo radioactive change to become Gallium, what is the number of increased quantum transitions produced, also if you look at the age of the universe at background temp, what amount of energy does that number of quantum transitions represent at background radiation temperature. Is it a very very large amount of energy? Perhaps more than E from E=MC^2 of one proton.

It looks to me like just transmuting an element could create orders of magnitude more "information processing (quantum) events" which at currently thought of energy minima each, would be much larger than the amount of energy represented with e=mc^2. Its not that radical a statement as it kind of says "if you recharged a rechargeable battery a few quadrillion times, it eventually gives more energy than used to make it" yet I am wondering what this says about Shannon information theory if apparently you can get more computational space than has ever been purposefully used just swapping out 1 neutron or proton to change "habitual quantum richness" with time

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have no idea what you are talking about. Have you read the PF Rules on Overly Speculative Posts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook