VCP(Video cassette player) picture problem

• Thread starter peejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with their malfunctioning video cassette player that was producing a distorted picture when playing tapes. The person received suggestions to check the system and tape type, as well as clean the player or take it to a professional. They also considered the possibility of copy-protection or worn out heads causing the issue. Ultimately, it was suggested to either clean or replace the player.
peejake
Hey guys,

I hope i posted this in the right forum...Im sorry if I am wrong because i could not find another appropriate forum...

Anyway here is the thing...I have this video cassette player that i bought 5 years ago and it seems to have a piture display problem. This started last year...

When i play a video cassette i get the sound comming quite clear on the tv but the piture is not clear at all...It looks something like this...

JulyandAugustPics2006031.jpg

Yes that is Eric clapton that you see...The video is like that all the time...By the way its black and white and it keeps jumping all the time...As for those white lines you see i have tried tracking the video but it only gets worse or no better at all...
I thought that the head/drum might be dirty and cleaned it but no luck at all...Can anyone help me with this please?

Here are some more pictures...

JulyandAugustPics2006030.jpg

JulyandAugustPics2006040.jpg

Here are some pictures of the inside of my video player...

JulyandAugustPics2006039.jpg

JulyandAugustPics2006041.jpg

JulyandAugustPics2006042.jpg

Yea so i hope you understood my problem and would appreciate any help offered!

Thanks...
Jake

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would consider two things, first the system of the video and TV (ie. NTSC, PAL...), another thing to consider is the type of the tape played (ie. SP, LP...).
Although I doubt this would work you might like to give it a shoot.

peejake said:
Anyway here is the thing...I have this video cassette player that i bought 5 years ago and it seems to have a piture display problem. This started last year...

When i play a video cassette i get the sound comming quite clear on the tv but the piture is not clear at all...It looks something like this...
Looks like bad tracking to me.
Those "head cleaner" cartiages don't do much of anything. It probably has some goop on one of the guide posts or some other component in the tape path.
A professional cleaning might fix it up.

abdo375 said:
I would consider two things, first the system of the video and TV (ie. NTSC, PAL...), another thing to consider is the type of the tape played (ie. SP, LP...).
Although I doubt this would work you might like to give it a shoot.

NoTime,

I know your suggesting bad tracking because you see those white tracking lines on the bottom of those pictures, but i tried tracking those pictures but no improvement at all...:frown: I don't think its worth taking it to a pro. to clean because with the cost of that i could probably buy a new one...:tongue2: Thanks a lot for your help though...

abdo371,

Thanks for your help...
I remember that certain cassettes that used to work before don't work now which was on an older tv, so its hopefully not the video player...I bought a new tv last year as well and I am thinking now it might be the tv...How do i go about to check whether my tv works on (NTSC/PAL)?

Jake

The tracking adjustment won't help if there is goop on the guides, it just makes it worse.
I suppose you could try cleaning it yourself.

If you live in the US your TV is NTSC, although some models will do PAL and SECAM as well.
Most of Europe is PAL with SECAM being mostly France.
Not sure but Japan might be PAL also.

If you want to know about what your TV will do. Look at the tech info (specifications) page in the manual that came with it.

EDIT: You wouldn't get any pic at all if there was a mode (NTSC/PAL) mismatch.

Last edited:
NoTime said:
EDIT: You wouldn't get any pic at all if there was a mode (NTSC/PAL) mismatch.

I live in New Zealand by the way...Anyway so that means that its not the problem of NTSC/PAL...cuz i do get some picture, it muct be something else then...AARRRGGGGGHHH:grumpy:

Jake

Did this tape always look like this? Or did it play fine previously and then begin to get worse?

Does the VCR play other tapes just fine, but have problems with this one?

It looks to me like it might be the MacroVision copy-protection system at work. Did you perhaps make a copy of an professionally-recorded tape, and then try to play it back?

- Warren

chroot said:
Did this tape always look like this? Or did it play fine previously and then begin to get worse?

Does the VCR play other tapes just fine, but have problems with this one?

It looks to me like it might be the MacroVision copy-protection system at work. Did you perhaps make a copy of an professionally-recorded tape, and then try to play it back?

- Warren

This tape used to work well previously before and now its got worse...I tried the VCP with different tapes and i get the same result...:confused: ...And i never made copies of any tapes before...Infact i have never copied a Video tape ever...I have a feeling its not the tapes but something wrong with the VCP its-self...I going to borrow a Video cassette from the video library today and check it out...Ill let you know what happens as soon as i check it out...

Jake

Be carefull, when a tape player gets as bad as the images you posted, then it is very likely to destroy whatever you put in it.

Time to clean or buy a new one.

NoTime said:
Be carefull, when a tape player gets as bad as the images you posted, then it is very likely to destroy whatever you put in it.

Time to clean or buy a new one.

Thats why i borrowed one from the video store..:biggrin: I am going to test it with that one first..its a pretty new tape too...hehe...

Yes i guess its time to buy a new one...you are right!

There's another possibility which I didn't even know was possible until it happened to me. The heads on my Betamax wore out... nothing left to clean. :grumpy: And there I was with over 100 beta tapes. Luckily, I found a similar unit with a busted stage, so I could transplant the heads.

Danger said:
There's another possibility which I didn't even know was possible until it happened to me. The heads on my Betamax wore out... nothing left to clean. :grumpy: And there I was with over 100 beta tapes. Luckily, I found a similar unit with a busted stage, so I could transplant the heads.
Worn heads tend to smear the whole pic into one fuzzy blur. It's actually happens a lot.
The images the OP posted were sharp enough with the exception of the noise bars from tape lift.

Time to get a video adaptor for the PC and put your tapes on DVD :smile:
The tapes themselves wear out.
Not to mention just turning to goo as some of mine did :grumpy:

NoTime said:
Worn heads tend to smear the whole pic into one fuzzy blur.
That was the eventual outcome, but the initial stage acted exactly like bad tracking. Maybe it's different for multi-head VHS.

Danger said:
That was the eventual outcome, but the initial stage acted exactly like bad tracking. Maybe it's different for multi-head VHS.
If one head spalls off before the other.
Yes, that can happen.

1. Why is my VCP picture distorted or fuzzy?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a dirty or damaged video head, a worn-out video tape, or a problem with the playback speed. It is recommended to first try cleaning the video head and using a new tape to see if the issue persists.

2. How can I fix a "no picture" issue on my VCP?

This could be caused by a loose or damaged video cable, a malfunctioning video head, or a problem with the TV's input settings. Check the connections and try a different cable, and make sure the TV is set to the correct input for the VCP.

3. Why is there no color on my VCP picture?

This could be due to a faulty color wheel or a problem with the color settings on the TV. Try adjusting the color settings on the TV or connecting the VCP to a different TV to determine the cause of the issue.

4. What should I do if my VCP picture keeps jumping or freezing?

This could be caused by a dirty or damaged video head, a worn-out video tape, or a problem with the playback speed. Try cleaning the video head and using a new tape, and check for any defects on the tape itself. If the issue persists, it could be a problem with the VCP itself.

5. Can a VCP picture problem be fixed at home or do I need to take it to a professional?

It depends on the specific issue and your level of expertise. Some issues, such as dirty video heads or loose connections, can be fixed at home with proper tools and instructions. However, for more complex issues, it is recommended to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage to the VCP.