Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VCP(Video cassette player) picture problem

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,

I hope i posted this in the right forum....Im sorry if im wrong cuz i could not find another appropriate forum....

Anyway here is the thing......I have this video cassette player that i bought 5 years ago and it seems to have a piture display problem. This started last year....

When i play a video cassette i get the sound comming quite clear on the tv but the piture is not clear at all....It looks something like this....

[​IMG]

Yes that is Eric clapton that you see.....The video is like that all the time....By the way its black and white and it keeps jumping all the time....As for those white lines you see i have tried tracking the video but it only gets worse or no better at all....
    I thought that the head/drum might be dirty and cleaned it but no luck at all.....Can anyone help me with this please?????

Here are some more pictures....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures of the inside of my video player....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yea so i hope you understood my problem and would appreciate any help offered!!!

Thanks....
    Jake

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2
    I would consider two things, first the system of the video and TV (ie. NTSC, PAL...), another thing to consider is the type of the tape played (ie. SP, LP.....).
    Although I doubt this would work you might like to give it a shoot.

4. Aug 5, 2006 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like bad tracking to me.
    Those "head cleaner" cartiages don't do much of anything. It probably has some goop on one of the guide posts or some other component in the tape path.
    A professional cleaning might fix it up.

5. Aug 6, 2006 #4
    NoTime,

I know your suggesting bad tracking because you see those white tracking lines on the bottom of those pictures, but i tried tracking those pictures but no improvement at all...:frown: I dont think its worth taking it to a pro. to clean because with the cost of that i could probably buy a new one....:tongue2: Thanks a lot for your help though.....

abdo371,

Thanks for your help.....
    I remember that certain cassettes that used to work before dont work now which was on an older tv, so its hopefully not the video player....I bought a new tv last year as well and im thinking now it might be the tv....How do i go about to check whether my tv works on (NTSC/PAL)???

Jake

6. Aug 6, 2006 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tracking adjustment won't help if there is goop on the guides, it just makes it worse.
    I suppose you could try cleaning it yourself.

If you live in the US your TV is NTSC, although some models will do PAL and SECAM as well.
    Most of Europe is PAL with SECAM being mostly France.
    Not sure but Japan might be PAL also.

If you want to know about what your TV will do. Look at the tech info (specifications) page in the manual that came with it.

EDIT: You wouldn't get any pic at all if there was a mode (NTSC/PAL) mismatch.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  7. Aug 7, 2006 #6
    I live in New Zealand by the way....Anyway so that means that its not the problem of NTSC/PAL....cuz i do get some picture, it muct be something else then...AARRRGGGGGHHH:grumpy:

Jake

8. Aug 7, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did this tape always look like this? Or did it play fine previously and then begin to get worse?

Does the VCR play other tapes just fine, but have problems with this one?

It looks to me like it might be the MacroVision copy-protection system at work. Did you perhaps make a copy of an professionally-recorded tape, and then try to play it back?

- Warren

9. Aug 7, 2006 #8
    This tape used to work well previously before and now its got worse...I tried the VCP with different tapes and i get the same result...:confused: ....And i never made copies of any tapes before....Infact i have never copied a Video tape ever....I have a feeling its not the tapes but something wrong with the VCP its-self....I gonna borrow a Video cassette from the video library today and check it out...Ill let you know what happens as soon as i check it out....

Jake

10. Aug 7, 2006 #9

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be carefull, when a tape player gets as bad as the images you posted, then it is very likely to destroy whatever you put in it.

Time to clean or buy a new one.

11. Aug 9, 2006 #10
    Thats why i borrowed one from the video store..:biggrin: im gonna test it with that one first..its a pretty new tape too...hehe...

Yes i guess its time to buy a new one....you are right!!!

12. Aug 10, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

There's another possibility which I didn't even know was possible until it happened to me. The heads on my Betamax wore out... nothing left to clean. :grumpy: And there I was with over 100 beta tapes. Luckily, I found a similar unit with a busted stage, so I could transplant the heads.

13. Aug 10, 2006 #12

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Worn heads tend to smear the whole pic into one fuzzy blur. It's actually happens a lot.
    The images the OP posted were sharp enough with the exception of the noise bars from tape lift.

Time to get a video adaptor for the PC and put your tapes on DVD :smile:
    The tapes themselves wear out.
    Not to mention just turning to goo as some of mine did :grumpy:

14. Aug 10, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That was the eventual outcome, but the initial stage acted exactly like bad tracking. Maybe it's different for multi-head VHS.

15. Aug 10, 2006 #14

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If one head spalls off before the other.
    Yes, that can happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?