Vector addition - Finding V2 when V1 and V1+V2 are given

In summary, to find the magnitude and angle of the second portion of movement in this problem, you need to set up equations for the x-components and y-components of the total displacement (R) and solve for the unknown components of vector B. Once you have the components, you can use them to find the magnitude and angle of vector B.
exi

Homework Statement

Particle has two displacements.

1 - 11m, 89 degrees
2 - ?
1+2 - 8.6m, 129 degrees

So:
1 = (11, 89°)
2 = ?
1+2 = (8.6, 129°)

Homework Equations

X-component = M x cos(Θ)
Y-component = M x sin(Θ)

Total magnitude = sqrt((total x-component)² + (total y-component)²)

Total angle = tan-1 (total y-component / total x-component)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not terribly sure how I should best try to find the magnitude and angle of the second portion of the movement here. I would've tried to solve for total magnitude, but I'm missing both X and Y components for #2, so... what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you're missing those components--you have to solve for them! Set up an equation for x-components; from this you can solve for the unknown x-component of vector #2. Then do the same for the y-components.

Think this way:
1 + 2 = R

2 = R - 1

2 = R + (-1)

Doc Al said:
Of course you're missing those components--you have to solve for them! Set up an equation for x-components; from this you can solve for the unknown x-component of vector #2. Then do the same for the y-components.

That's the thing. I'm probably making this far more complicated than it has to be, but the first idea or three that come to mind on how to do exactly that involve information that I don't have, like angles for #2.

I'd appreciate a kick-start on this one.

I'll call your vectors A and B (instead of 1 and 2). So you have:
A + B = R

You are given A and R; you need to find B. So solve for the components. Set up two equations:

(1) Ax + Bx = Rx
You should be able to compute and plug in the x-components of A and R. Then you can solve for Bx.

As Chi Meson explained:
Bx = Rx - Ax

(2) Ay + By = Ry
Same thing, only now you are doing the y-components.

So find Bx and By, then you can find the magnitude and direction of B.

perhaps setting up a table with assigning +x, -x, +y and -y to appropriate components would help you.
rest is just mathematical subtraction

Doc Al said:
I'll call your vectors A and B (instead of 1 and 2). So you have:
A + B = R

You are given A and R; you need to find B. So solve for the components. Set up two equations:

(1) Ax + Bx = Rx
You should be able to compute and plug in the x-components of A and R. Then you can solve for Bx.

As Chi Meson explained:
Bx = Rx - Ax

(2) Ay + By = Ry
Same thing, only now you are doing the y-components.

So find Bx and By, then you can find the magnitude and direction of B.

Yep, I was definitely making this far more complicated than it was. For whatever reason, I kept thinking that it couldn't possibly be as easy as determining the component vectors of R and working out B from that.

Obviously, it is.

Thanks for the slap back into rational thinking o:)

Last edited:

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is used to find the resultant vector when two or more forces or velocities act on an object.

2. How do you find V2 when V1 and V1+V2 are given?

To find V2, you can use the mathematical formula V2 = V1+V2 - V1. This means that you subtract the initial vector (V1) from the resultant vector (V1+V2) to find the value of V2.

3. What is the importance of vector addition?

Vector addition is important in physics and engineering as it allows us to calculate the combined effect of multiple forces or velocities acting on an object. It also helps us understand the direction and magnitude of the resultant vector.

4. Can vectors be added in any order?

No, vectors cannot be added in any order. The order of vectors does not affect the magnitude of the resultant vector, but it does affect the direction. Therefore, it is important to add vectors in the correct order to get an accurate result.

5. Are there any other methods for vector addition?

Yes, there are other methods for vector addition such as graphical addition and using trigonometric functions. However, the mathematical formula is the most commonly used method as it is more accurate and efficient.