Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba vs. Vector Analysis by Brand

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    Hi. I have heard that the marsden and Tromba book is not very rigorous. Is this true? I seek a vector book that is something proof intensive. I took vector analysis b4 with a book called vector calculus by Susan colley, I am looking for something more rigorous than this. Anyone read vector analysis by Louis brand? Seems hard to find a good vector book without doing into differential forms. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2
    Hi all. I went ahead and ordered the analysis book by Brand, it was only 10 bucks. How about the Marsden and Tromba book? Is it rigourous and proof oriented? Thanks.

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    From what I was told, Marsden and Tromba is not considered to be rigorous and proof oriented. Why don't you check out Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternburg?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook