Vector coordinates and its points

In summary, the conversation is about finding the points of a vector when only given the vector coordinates and not being able to use the origin as one of the points. The concept of vectors having specific points is also discussed.
jhosamelly
Is there a way to know the points if I only have the vector coordinates and I can't use the origin as one of the points? For example, if I have vec(PQ) <-1,4,-5> . Is there a way to know the points of this vector?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jhosamelly said:
Is there a way to know the points if I only have the vector coordinates and I can't use the origin as one of the points? For example, if I have vec(PQ) <-1,4,-5> . Is there a way to know the points of this vector?
Do you mean, is there a way to find P and Q? No.

haruspex said:
Do you mean, is there a way to find P and Q? No.
Yes. That's what I mean. Thanks for your reply. i thought I got it wrong. :)

Do you understand that a vector does NOT have specific "points"? A basic property of a vector is that two different "directed line segments" (for example, the segment from (1, 1, 1) to (0, 5, -4) and the segment from (3, 1, 2) to (2, 4, -3)) can represent the same vector and have no "points" in common.

1. What are vector coordinates and how are they used?

Vector coordinates are a set of numbers that represent the position of a point in space. They are typically used in mathematics and physics to describe the location and movement of objects.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector using its coordinates?

To find the magnitude of a vector using its coordinates, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Simply square each coordinate, add the squares together, and then take the square root of the sum. This will give you the length or magnitude of the vector.

3. Can vector coordinates have negative values?

Yes, vector coordinates can have negative values. Negative values indicate a direction opposite to the positive direction on a coordinate axis.

4. How many dimensions can vector coordinates have?

Vector coordinates can have any number of dimensions, depending on the problem or situation. In mathematics, they can have 2, 3, or even more dimensions. However, in physics, they are typically limited to 3 dimensions to represent the physical world.

5. How are vector coordinates used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, vector coordinates are used to represent the position of objects on a screen. They are also used to calculate the direction and speed of movement of these objects, creating realistic and dynamic animations.