Vector Fields on S^2, 0 only at 1 point.

In summary, orientability is a topological property, and can be shown using pullbacks of vector fields or forms under diffeomorphisms. However, it can also be defined in purely topological terms, making it a topological invariant under homeomorphisms.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:

I am trying to produce a V.Field that is 0 only at one point of S^2.

I have been thinking of using the homeo. between S^2-{pt.} and

R^2 to do this. Please tell me if this works:

We take a V.Field on R^2 that is nowhere zero, but goes to 0

as (x,y) grows (in the sense that it "goes to oo" in the Riemann sphere), and

then pulling it back via the stereo projection.

We could use, e.g:

V(x,y)=( 1/(X^2+1), 1/(Y^2+1))

For the pullback. Does this work?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, though a priori this vector field will only be continuous. To check differentiability you need a chart containing the zero.

Thanks, YYat, a followup, please:

Is it then possible to use this technique of pullbacks of vector fields (seen as sections)
to show that orientability is a topological (maybe "diffeo-topological") property?.

Specifically, I was thinking of using a diffeomorphism between M orientable and smooth
and N smooth. Then we could pullback a nowhere-zero form w in M into a nowhere-zero
form f_*(w) in N. Would this work?
Is it true that orientability is a topological property (i.e., if X,Y are homeo. and X
is orientable. Is Y also orientable?)

Thanks Again.

WWGD said:
Thanks, YYat, a followup, please:

Is it then possible to use this technique of pullbacks of vector fields (seen as sections)
to show that orientability is a topological (maybe "diffeo-topological") property?.

Specifically, I was thinking of using a diffeomorphism between M orientable and smooth
and N smooth. Then we could pullback a nowhere-zero form w in M into a nowhere-zero
form f_*(w) in N. Would this work?
Is it true that orientability is a topological property (i.e., if X,Y are homeo. and X
is orientable. Is Y also orientable?)

Thanks Again.

There are several different, but equivalent definitions of orientability (see also the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientability#Orientability_of_manifolds" article). For a smooth n dimensional manifold the existence of a nowhere vanishing n-form can be taken as a definition, and a diffeomorphism pulls back nowhere vanishing n-forms to nowhere vanishing n-forms. So indeed, orientability is a diffeomorphism invariant.
However, orientability can also be defined for topological manifolds (these have charts, but the chart transitions need not be differentiable), quoting wikipedia:

"An n-dimensional manifold is called non-orientable if it is possible to take the homeomorphic image of an n-dimensional ball in the manifold and move it through the manifold and back to itself, so that at the end of the path, the ball has been reflected."

Other, less intuitive but often easier to work with definitions can be made using homology theory. With a topological definition, it is immediate that orientability is in fact a topological (homeomorphism) invariant.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vector field on S^2 with 0 only at 1 point?

A vector field on S^2 with 0 only at 1 point is a mathematical construct that assigns a vector to every point on the surface of a sphere (S^2), with the exception of one point where the vector is equal to 0. This means that at every point on the sphere, there is a direction and magnitude associated with it, except for one point where there is no direction or magnitude.

2. How is this type of vector field represented?

This type of vector field on S^2 can be represented graphically with arrows pointing in different directions and of varying lengths, or algebraically using equations that describe the vector's direction and magnitude at each point on the sphere.

3. What is the significance of having 0 only at 1 point in this vector field?

The significance of having 0 only at 1 point in this vector field is that it creates a unique and interesting distribution of vectors on the sphere. This can be useful in various mathematical and physical applications, such as in the study of fluid dynamics or electromagnetism.

4. Can this type of vector field exist in higher dimensions?

Yes, this type of vector field can exist in higher dimensions. In fact, it can exist on any surface or manifold, not just on spheres. However, the concept of having 0 only at 1 point is specific to 2-dimensional surfaces, such as S^2.

5. What are some real-world examples of vector fields on S^2 with 0 only at 1 point?

Some real-world examples of vector fields on S^2 with 0 only at 1 point include the Earth's magnetic field, which is approximately a dipole field with 0 only at the poles, and the electric field around a single point charge, which has 0 only at the location of the charge.