Vector force& and Optic question

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram showing a log being pulled up an Earth slope and calculating the work done against friction. The answer does not match the given choices and there is also mention of a 1000N force due to friction. The conversation then shifts to a boy doing homework and drawing a ray diagram to show the shadow produced by his head on the table. The question asks about the difference in the shadow if a fluorescent bulb is used instead of a small light bulb. This leads to a discussion about the different types of light sources and their effects on shadows.
lionely
6ru4iu.jpg

Log question

The diagram shows a log being pulled up an Earth slope from X to y.

How much work is done against friction, the answer I get is not among the 4 choices..

also the part messed up by the scanner says 1000N force due to friction

2s1rifb.jpg

The diagram shows a boy doing homework. He has a difficulty reading his book under the small light bulb.

Draw a ray diagram to show the shadow produced by his head on the table. What difference would it make to the shadow if the light bulb were replaced by a long fluroescent bulb? Draw a diagram to illustrate this case.

my attempt...
rgy1ix.png

the darker part is the umbra

and the strokes are the penumbra does that drawing make any sense?

Please respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
6ru4iu.jpg

Log question

How much work is done against friction, the answer I get is not among the 4 choices..

2s1rifb.jpg

The diagram shows a boy doing homework. He has a difficulty reading his book under the small light bulb.

Draw a ray diagram to show the shadow produced by his head on the table. What difference would it make to the shadow if the light bulb were replaced by a long fluroescent bulb? Draw a diagram to illustrate this case.

my attempt...
rgy1ix.png

Please respond.

"Log question

"

The question also says the log was dragged 50m

If you oppose a 1000N force over a distance of 50m you certainly get one of the options.
Perhaps you were working out a total energy change brought about by dragging up the hill as well.

is it 50,000 J?

lionely said:
6ru4iu.jpg

Log question

2s1rifb.jpg

my attempt...
rgy1ix.png

Please respond.

In short, the drawing does not make any sense.

Better look up umbra and Penumbra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra

is a start, though most Physics texts have great diagrams.

lionely said:
is it 50,000 J?

That sounds logical to me.

Okay thanks sir I'll try to redraw the diagram, I drew the diagram in a rush.

lionely said:
Okay thanks sir I'll try to redraw the diagram, I drew the diagram in a rush.

Don't forget they said "replaced by a long fluroescent bulb".

That means it behaves like an array of globes perhaps 1m long.

I'm sorry I don't follow, what would be 1m long the shadow?

lionely said:
I'm sorry I don't follow, what would be 1m long the shadow?

The light source.

Have you seen the long flourescent tubes they use in many businesses, schools and many home garages / basements - instead of a normal Globe light fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

1. What is a vector force?

A vector force is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force. It is used to describe the motion of an object and the forces acting on it.

2. How is vector force measured?

Vector force is typically measured in units of newtons (N). To measure the force, a device called a force meter or spring scale can be used, which measures the stretch or compression of a spring due to an applied force.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector force?

A scalar force only has magnitude, while a vector force has both magnitude and direction. For example, the force of gravity is a scalar force, while the force of a push or pull is a vector force.

4. What is an optic question?

An optic question is a type of question that involves the study of light and its properties, including reflection, refraction, and the behavior of light in different mediums. Optic questions can also involve the use of lenses, mirrors, and other optical instruments.

5. How can I determine the direction of an optic question?

The direction of an optic question can be determined by using the laws of reflection and refraction. These laws state that the angle of incidence (incoming light) is equal to the angle of reflection or refraction (outgoing light). By understanding the direction of light in different mediums, the direction of an optic question can be determined.