1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw a diagram of all the forces acting on block A.

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    Block A, with weight 3w, slides down an inclined plane S of slope angle 36.9 ∘ at a constant speed while plank B, with weight w, rests on top of A. The plank is attached by a cord to the wall (the figure (Figure 1) ).

Part A
    Draw a diagram of all the forces acting on block A.
    Draw the force vectors with their tails at the center of the block A. The orientation of your vectors will be graded. The exact length of your vectors will not be graded but the relative length of one to the other will be graded.

just stuck on this tried to do it i have vectors
    fab friction between ab
    fas friction between as
    Nb Normal force by plank b
    Ns Normal force by plane s
    and Wa weight of block a

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    You can attach pictures to a post - or just describe the diagram.
    There is no a,b, or s in your description - did you mean those to be upper-case characters?
    For each of the forces you have identified, have you figured out which direction they act?
    (Hint: directions can be "up", "down", "along the plane", "perpendicular to the plane", and up or down in relation to the last two.)

4. Sep 23, 2013 #3
    opps sorry didn't upload a picture. Thought I did think I did it this time and I've tried a few different ways and marked me wrong.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh there you go - I was hoping you'd draw arrows on it.

curious: 36.5##^\circ## is an odd angle ... 36##^\circ## is ##\small \pi/5## radians.
    I figure it's random.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted