What is the value of a.(b + c) in a Regular Hexagon?

In summary, the problem asks to find the value of a.(b + c) in a regular hexagon with side 2 units. The vectors PQ, QR, and RS represent a, b, and c respectively. The attempt at a solution involved guessing that a (PQ) = -c and being unsure of where to go from there. However, it was suggested to draw a neat picture and consider the angular relationship between a and b+c or to compute the components of the vectors using their lengths and angles. The confusion was due to this being a new topic and the picture being misleading.
markyp23

Homework Statement

"PRQSTU is a regular hexagon of side 2 units. PQ,QR and RS represent vectors a, b andc respectively. Find the value of a.(b + c)

The hexagon is a regular hexagon starting at the far left (ie pointing left) with P then anti clockwise through U at the top left.

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start. I've guessed that a (PQ) = -c. But I don't know where to go from there and now I'm really confused.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be drawing a pretty horrid picture of a hexagon to be guessing that a=(-c). If you draw a neat picture you will probably realize there is a special angular relationship between a and b+c. You could also just tough it out and compute the components of the vectors a, b and c, since you know their lengths and the angles between them.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I realized why I was lost - it's because I was! We haven't been taught this part of vectors yet, and I was looking at a past paper.

Haha, oops. The picture was already printed for me and I thought that a=(-c). I better stick to diagrams of squares. :)

What is vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a new vector. There are different types of vector multiplication, including dot product and cross product.

What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product of two vectors results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity or angle between two vectors, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity or area between two vectors.

What is the purpose of vector multiplication in science?

In science, vector multiplication is used to analyze and solve problems involving forces, motion, and other physical quantities. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

What are some real-world applications of vector multiplication?

Some real-world applications of vector multiplication include calculating the torque on a rotating object, determining the direction and magnitude of a magnetic field, and simulating the movement of particles in a fluid.

What are some common misconceptions about vector multiplication?

One common misconception is that the result of vector multiplication is always a vector. As mentioned earlier, the dot product results in a scalar quantity. Another misconception is that the order of the vectors does not matter in vector multiplication, when in fact, it does matter in the cross product.