Linear Algebra on a Regular Hexagon

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of vectors that make up a regular hexagon, given the magnitude of one side (1). The conversation also discusses using linear algebra and deductive reasoning to find the values, as well as the steps involved in computing the length of the vectors.
leehufford

Homework Statement

We are supposed to compute the magnitude of vectors that make up a regular hexagon. We are given the magnitude of one side (its magnitude is 1).

We are also supposed to compute one of the interior angles.

Homework Equations

I feel like this isn't enough information to put into any equation I know.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously because it's a regular hexagon, all sides (vectors in the plane) are of equal length to each other.
Also, I am aware of this fact: each time a side is added to a polygon, 180 degrees is added to the total of the interior angles. A triangle is 180 degrees, square is 360, pentagon is 540 and hexagons are 720, which would make each interior angle 120 degrees.

But I believe the professor wants us to use linear algebra to show this, especially since the directive compute was given. I think my attempt at a solution is just deductive reasoning/ inference. Does anyone know of a way to use linear algebra to find these values? The hexagon has a vertex at the origin and one vector is aligned with the x axis, which means part of the hexagon is in the second quadrant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Lee

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that by compute he means to compute the vector length from the origin to the various points on the hexagon. To do this you need a way of representing each point P on the perimeter of the hexagon. That representation will depend on the angle between the origin and P. It is perfectly okay if the angle is > 90° for the points in the 2nd quadrant.

I think the place to start is by computing the location of the center of your hexagon. If you create a triangle using the side on the x-axis running from (0,0) to (1,0); and the radii from the center of the hexagon, what is the angle at the center of the hexagon? What is the angle at (0,0? what is the angle at (1,0)?

From this information you should be able to use elementary geometry and trigonometry to calculate the location of the center; which in turn gets you the height of the hexagon.

The next step is to compute the location of a point on the perimeter of your hexagon. This can be done directly and is probably what your prof intends. However, if it were me, I would move the center of the hexagon to the origin, which greatly simplifies the computations. ( I am no fan of computing more when there is an option to compute less.)

You do this with a "translation". You are presently working in x,y coordinates. If the center of the hexagon is at (a,b), you set up new coordinates u,v where u = x -a and v = y -b. Eventually, you will translate the coordinates back to x,y but first you will compute all the points on the perimeter of your translated hexagon.

Before I provide further guidance, can you do the steps above? That is, compute the center of the hexagon, and create the u,v axis?

brmath said:
My guess is that by compute he means to compute the vector length from the origin to the various points on the hexagon. To do this you need a way of representing each point P on the perimeter of the hexagon. That representation will depend on the angle between the origin and P. It is perfectly okay if the angle is > 90° for the points in the 2nd quadrant.

I think the place to start is by computing the location of the center of your hexagon. If you create a triangle using the side on the x-axis running from (0,0) to (1,0); and the radii from the center of the hexagon, what is the angle at the center of the hexagon? What is the angle at (0,0? what is the angle at (1,0)?

From this information you should be able to use elementary geometry and trigonometry to calculate the location of the center; which in turn gets you the height of the hexagon.

The next step is to compute the location of a point on the perimeter of your hexagon. This can be done directly and is probably what your prof intends. However, if it were me, I would move the center of the hexagon to the origin, which greatly simplifies the computations. ( I am no fan of computing more when there is an option to compute less.)

You do this with a "translation". You are presently working in x,y coordinates. If the center of the hexagon is at (a,b), you set up new coordinates u,v where u = x -a and v = y -b. Eventually, you will translate the coordinates back to x,y but first you will compute all the points on the perimeter of your translated hexagon.

Before I provide further guidance, can you do the steps above? That is, compute the center of the hexagon, and create the u,v axis?

I appreciate the help, but my first sentence of the post was that we are computing the magnitude of the vectors that make up the hexagon, i.e the sides. I figured it out though.

Lee

Sorry I misunderstood. It was not entirely clear and I do not guess well. But the "magnitude" of the vector is its length isn't it? And the sides are defined to be of length 1. Thus I still do not understand the question.

However, I'm glad you solved it.

1. What is a regular hexagon?

A regular hexagon is a six-sided polygon with all sides and angles equal in length. It is a type of regular polygon, which means that all of its angles and sides are the same. In a regular hexagon, each interior angle measures 120 degrees and each exterior angle measures 60 degrees.

2. How is linear algebra used in regular hexagons?

Linear algebra is often used to calculate and analyze various properties of regular hexagons, such as its perimeter, area, and angles. It can also be used to solve geometric problems involving regular hexagons, such as finding the coordinates of its vertices or determining its symmetry.

3. What are the properties of the regular hexagon's sides and angles?

As mentioned before, all sides and angles of a regular hexagon are equal in length. Additionally, the sum of the interior angles of a regular hexagon is always 720 degrees and the sum of the exterior angles is 360 degrees. Also, the diagonals of a regular hexagon are all equal in length and intersect at the center of the hexagon.

4. What is the formula for finding the area of a regular hexagon?

The formula for finding the area of a regular hexagon is A = 3 x (side length)^2 x √3 / 2, where A is the area and side length is the length of any side of the hexagon. This formula can be derived using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. How do you find the coordinates of the vertices of a regular hexagon?

The coordinates of the vertices of a regular hexagon can be found using the radius of the circumscribed circle and some basic trigonometric functions. The center of the circle will be the center of the hexagon and the coordinates of each vertex can be found by calculating the angles between the radii and using the distance formula to find the coordinates on the x and y axes.