Vector Sum (Angle Theta and Magnitude)

In summary: The resultant vector is just the vector summed up from the three initial vectors. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector are just the sum of the magnitudes and directions of the initial vectors.In summary, you can measure the angle theta of the resultant vector by measuring the length and direction of the resultant vector.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

I made those illustrations up. :) We are asked to find the angle theta using the graphical method (Tail-to-Tip Method)
From these examples, Vector A + Vector B + Vector C = Resultant Vector

How to find angle theta of Resultant Vector?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, should I measure the angle of the resultant vector from the positive x-axis or is my understanding wrong? All I can find on the net is algebraic method and I can't even understand this graphical method yet.

So, from illustration number 1, should it be somewhere close to 90 to 110 degrees?
I don't even have a clue on how to know the angle theta of illustrations 2 and 3.

I know using the algebraic method is much accurate and useful, but our teacher hasn't even taught us that yet. So please, someone help me? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what were the magnitudes/directions of the initial vectors? How did you decide what direction they pointed/how long they were?

If you did indeed draw the vectors perfectly, then you can get not-super-accurate value for the resulting vector just by measuring it's length and direction.

Well, I didn't mind putting the values since I'd still be doing the measuring using the protractor by myself. I know how to measure the magnitude, I'm just asking how / what is the proper procedure in measuring angle theta using a protractor as described in the graphical method.

But if it helps here it is:

Illustration 1:
Vector A= Southwest, 8 cm
Vector B= East, 6 cm

Illustration 2:
Vector A= West, 4 cm
Vector B= 20 Degrees South of East , 5 cm
Vector C= 57 Degrees South of West, 8 cm

Illustration 3:
Vector A= SouthWest, 7 cm
Vector B= East, 4 cm

Hope you can help me with this. :) And sorry if it is so inaccurate, I did try my best to make it look like my drawing in my paper. :)

Have you done trigonometry? I am inclined to believe you have.
Surely you can find the unknown angle pretty easily?

You needn't draw the sketch perfectly, the important thing is the values with which you do the maths.

Hi there! It's great to see that you are trying to understand the graphical method for finding the angle theta of the resultant vector.

To answer your question, yes, you are correct. In the graphical method using the Tail-to-Tip method, the angle theta of the resultant vector can be measured from the positive x-axis. In illustration 1, it would be somewhere between 90 to 110 degrees.

For illustration 2 and 3, the angle theta can also be measured from the positive x-axis. It may be a bit more difficult to estimate the angle in these cases, but you can use a protractor or ruler to get a more accurate measurement.

Keep in mind that the graphical method is not as accurate as the algebraic method, but it is still a useful tool for understanding vector addition. As you continue to learn and practice, you will become more comfortable with both methods. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a vector sum?

A vector sum, also known as resultant vector, is the net vector produced by the combination of two or more individual vectors. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each vector to determine the overall magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. How is the vector sum calculated?

The vector sum can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude of the resultant vector can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector magnitudes. The direction of the resultant vector can be calculated using the inverse tangent function.

3. What is the importance of angle theta in vector sum?

Angle theta, also known as the direction angle, determines the direction of the resultant vector. It is measured from the positive x-axis in a counterclockwise direction. Without angle theta, the magnitude of the resultant vector would be known, but its direction would be unknown.

4. How does the magnitude and direction of individual vectors affect the resultant vector?

The magnitude and direction of individual vectors directly affect the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. If the individual vectors are in the same direction, the magnitude of the resultant vector will be the sum of their magnitudes. If they are in opposite directions, the magnitude of the resultant vector will be the difference between their magnitudes. The direction of the individual vectors also determines the direction of the resultant vector.

5. Can the vector sum be negative?

Yes, the vector sum can be negative. This occurs when the individual vectors are in opposite directions and have different magnitudes. The negative sign indicates that the resultant vector is in the opposite direction of the larger individual vector. However, the magnitude of the resultant vector will still be positive.