Vectors and Components-Part One

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, an aircraft traveling at 200 mi/h on a heading of 38 degrees has a northerly component of 158 mi/h and an easterly component of 123 mi/h. To find these components, the angle was converted to its non-heading equivalent of 52 degrees, and the equations sine=opposite/hypotenuse and cosine=adjacent/hypotenuse were used. The correct values were found by using 200 cos 52 for the northerly component and 200 sin 52 for the easterly component.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

An aircraft is traveling at 200 mi/h on a heading of 38 degrees. Find the northerly and easterly components of its velocity.

Homework Equations

Sine=opposite/hypotenuse
Cosine=adjacent/hypotenuse

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem states that the angle given is a heading. In order to use our equations, it is best to convert to our non-heading angle. I don't know what that's called, but it's 52 degrees. So to find the northerly component, I did 200cos(52) and got 123.1 mi/h. To get the easterly component, I did 200sin(52) and got 157.6 mi/h. Are these the right answers so far? Do I need to convert back to a "heading" answer? How would I do that?

Thanks so much for a helpful and descriptive answer! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

An aircraft is traveling at 200 mi/h on a heading of 38 degrees. Find the northerly and easterly components of its velocity.

Homework Equations

Sine=opposite/hypotenuse
Cosine=adjacent/hypotenuse

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem states that the angle given is a heading. In order to use our equations, it is best to convert to our non-heading angle. I don't know what that's called, but it's 52 degrees. So to find the northerly component, I did 200cos(52) and got 123.1 mi/h. To get the easterly component, I did 200sin(52) and got 157.6 mi/h. Are these the right answers so far? Do I need to convert back to a "heading" answer? How would I do that?

Thanks so much for a helpful and descriptive answer! :smile:
A heading in aviation terms is measured clockwise frpm magnetic north. If the airplane is heading 38 degrees, it means it is moving in a direction 38 degrees east of north, that is, in a generally northeast direction. The problem should more specifically state or sketch the heading, often denoted for this case as N 38 E. in which case , the northerly component of the velocity is 200 cos 38 or 200 sin 52, whichever triangle you choose(draw a sketch!).

Okay, I think I got all that. :-) I forgot to mention that I already drew a diagram. The problem isn't any more specific than I indicated, unfortunately. Are you stating that my answer for the northerly component is correct?

Thank you! :smile:

Medgirl314 said:
Okay, I think I got all that. :-) I forgot to mention that I already drew a diagram. The problem isn't any more specific than I indicated, unfortunately. Are you stating that my answer for the northerly component is correct?

Thank you! :smile:
Your answer is incorrect. The plane is heading 038 degrees per its compass reading at a speed of 200 mph. Its northerly component is 200 cos 38, not 200 cos 52. Please look at your sketch again to confirm this result.

I think I see what you're saying. I should have made my sketch larger and neater. I got it backwards, right? It would be 200 sin 52 if I were to use the this angle, correct?

Medgirl314 said:
I think I see what you're saying. I should have made my sketch larger and neater. I got it backwards, right? It would be 200 sin 52 if I were to use the this angle, correct?
Correct!

So the northerly component is 157.6 mi./h. Thank you! Was the easterly component correct?

Medgirl314 said:
So the northerly component is 157.6 mi./h. Thank you! Was the easterly component correct?
Why no the easterly component is incorrect...what should it be ?

Is is 123.1 mi./h? Just for clarity, I got the right answer for the northerly component, correct?

Thanks!

Medgirl314 said:
Is is 123.1 mi./h? Just for clarity, I got the right answer for the northerly component, correct?

Thanks!
Yes both values for the northerly and easterly components are now correct. ( You might want to round them off however at least to the nearest whole number with no decimal point. ).

So just 158 mi/h and 123 mi/h. Thank you!

Likes 1 person

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the two or three numbers that represent the length of the vector in each coordinate direction. In a two-dimensional coordinate system, these are typically referred to as the x and y components. In a three-dimensional coordinate system, there is an additional z component.

3. How are vectors added?

Vectors can be added by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that has only magnitude (size) and no direction, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by multiple numbers or symbols.

5. How are vectors represented in mathematics?

In mathematics, vectors are typically represented by bold letters (such as v) or by placing an arrow above the letter (such as →v). The components of a vector are often denoted by subscripts, such as vx and vy for a two-dimensional vector.