1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity, acceleration, displacement

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a cab driver picks up a customer and delivers her 2.00km away, on a straight route. The driver accelerates to the speed limit and, on reaching it, begins to decelerate at once. the magnitude of the deceleration is three times the magnitude of the acceleration. find the lengths of the acceleration and deceleration phases.

2. Relevant equations
    vf=vi+at
    x=xi+vit+.5at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I honestly dont know where to begin. I tried setting up multiple equations but i keep getting more variables then equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Consider using the equation V2 = 2*a*x
    The acceleration phase is x and the deceleration distance is (2 - x) right?
    Since the V is the same:

2*a*x = 2*3a*(2-x)

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    can you explain why the v's are the same?

I thought the equation was vf^2=vi^2+2ad and when the car starts deaccelerating the vi is some unknown velocity while the vf will be 0

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Sure.

You have an acceleration phase. It gets to the speed limit from 0. That would be the first equation.
    The second is from the speed limit back to 0. Same speed limit. Same speed. Then you can set the two equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?