1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and acceleration from a position equation

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    Here's the question:
    A particles position is defined by the equation x=y^2/6 and it moves at a constant velocity in the y-direction of 3 in/s. Find the velocity and acceleration when x=6 in.

I know v=sqrt(vx^2+vy^2) and a is found the same way, but I have absolutely no idea how to find the velocity of in the x-direction through the equation.

The only way I can think to do it is find the change in the x position over a very small interval of time and go from there, but I know there's an easier way.

If anyone could give me a starting point it'd be great.

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    well if Vy is constant, y"=0 leaving only the x directions to worry about fpr acceleration.
    so can't you just differentiate with respect to x and plug in the x value given? For velocity add the constant as you propose, vector summation.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    yeah, I'm half retarded. I needed to make y a function of t and go from there. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?