Velocity and acceleration of a particle (polar coords)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding radial and transverse velocity and acceleration for a particle with polar coordinates. The calculations seem odd at first, but are correct. The tangential velocity is proportional to the radius, and the radial velocity is proportional to the radius, causing the angle of the velocity to be constant. The acceleration, not perpendicular to the velocity, lengthens and rotates it, resulting in a constant angle between the velocity and radius. This explains the seemingly strange results.
Rct33

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the radial and transverse velocity and acceleration for a particle with polar coordinates [itex]r=e^t[/itex] and [itex]\theta=t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore let the position of the particle be [itex]\underline{r}=\underline{\hat{r}}e^t[/itex]

$$\therefore \dot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{r}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{r}}$$

But [itex]\underline{\hat{r}}=\cos\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\sin\theta\underline{\hat{j}}[/itex]

$$\therefore\dot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} \theta}{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta}(\cos\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\sin\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=(-\sin\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\cos\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t +e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

[itex]\therefore \underline{\hat{r}}=e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}[/itex]

This is the particles velocity, the acceleration is given by:
$$\ddot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{\theta}}e^t+\underline{\hat{r}}e^t)$$

$$=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{\theta}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{\theta}}+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{r}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=\frac{\mathrm{d} \theta}{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta}(-\sin\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\cos\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t+e^t \underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=-e^t\underline{\hat{r}}+e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t \underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=2e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}$$

This is an acceleration in the transverse direction. But if [itex]\theta=t[/itex] and [itex]r=e^t[/itex] then why do I get an acceleration in the transverse direction, and not the radial direction? Is the transverse velocity not constant (I also got [itex]e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}[/itex] for transverse velocity, why is this?) Help is very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Rct33 said:

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the radial and transverse velocity and acceleration for a particle with polar coordinates [itex]r=e^t[/itex] and [itex]\theta=t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore let the position of the particle be [itex]\underline{r}=\underline{\hat{r}}e^t[/itex]

$$\therefore \dot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{r}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{r}}$$

But [itex]\underline{\hat{r}}=\cos\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\sin\theta\underline{\hat{j}}[/itex]

$$\therefore\dot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} \theta}{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta}(\cos\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\sin\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=(-\sin\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\cos\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t +e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

[itex]\therefore \underline{\hat{r}}=e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}[/itex]

This is the particles velocity, the acceleration is given by:
$$\ddot{\underline{r}}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{\theta}}e^t+\underline{\hat{r}}e^t)$$

$$=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{\theta}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{\theta}}+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(\underline{\hat{r}})e^t+\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}(e^t)\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=\frac{\mathrm{d} \theta}{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \theta}(-\sin\theta\underline{\hat{i}}+\cos\theta\underline{\hat{j}})e^t+e^t \underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=-e^t\underline{\hat{r}}+e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t \underline{\hat{\theta}}+e^t\underline{\hat{r}}$$

$$=2e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}$$

This is an acceleration in the transverse direction. But if [itex]\theta=t[/itex] and [itex]r=e^t[/itex] then why do I get an acceleration in the transverse direction, and not the radial direction? Is the transverse velocity not constant (I also got [itex]e^t\underline{\hat{\theta}}[/itex] for transverse velocity, why is this?) Help is very much appreciated

I agree with you that something just doesn't seem right about all this. The first thing is that it seems, because ##{dθ \over dt} = 1##, that the angle between the velocity and the radius should go to zero as t gets large. But the formula suggests the angle is a constant ##θ + {\pi \over 4}##. So this looks highly suspect.

The second odd thing is that the acceleration is perpendicular to the radius. This seems to imply that the radial velocity is constant, that the acceleration is only adding to the rotational velocity of the vector, but as ##{dθ \over dt} = 1##, this looks doubly wrong.

After a lot of thought, I am convinced that these calculations are correct. The tangential velocity is proportional to the radius (why?), and the radial velocity is proportional to the radius (why?), so the angle of the velocity must be ##θ + {\pi \over 4}##.

And the acceleration, being not perpendicular to the velocity, lengthens and rotates it. And because the velocity is at a constant angle to the radius, the radial velocity is lengthened when the velocity is lengthened.

So the strangeness can be explained way.

Likes 1 person
I just checked that the calculations done are right by doing everything in Cartesian coordinates. Then the motion is given by
[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\exp t [\cos t \hat{x}+\sin t \hat{y}].[/tex]
Since [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] are constant, you can easily do the derivatives wrt. [itex]t[/itex], and then you can find the components of velocity and acceleration simply by taking the dot products with the polar-coordinates orthonormal basis
[tex]\hat{r}=\cos t \hat{x} + \sin t \hat{y}, \quad \hat{\theta}=-\sin t \hat{x} + \cos t \hat{y}[/tex]
along the trajectory. I admit, the solution is not so intuitive but correct :-).

Likes 1 person
verty said:
I agree with you that something just doesn't seem right about all this. The first thing is that it seems, because ##{dθ \over dt} = 1##, that the angle between the velocity and the radius should go to zero as t gets large. But the formula suggests the angle is a constant ##θ + {\pi \over 4}##. So this looks highly suspect.

The second odd thing is that the acceleration is perpendicular to the radius. This seems to imply that the radial velocity is constant, that the acceleration is only adding to the rotational velocity of the vector, but as ##{dθ \over dt} = 1##, this looks doubly wrong.

After a lot of thought, I am convinced that these calculations are correct. The tangential velocity is proportional to the radius (why?), and the radial velocity is proportional to the radius (why?), so the angle of the velocity must be ##θ + {\pi \over 4}##.

And the acceleration, being not perpendicular to the velocity, lengthens and rotates it. And because the velocity is at a constant angle to the radius, the radial velocity is lengthened when the velocity is lengthened.

So the strangeness can be explained way.

This makes sense after thinking about it, thanks for your help! It is kinda simple now that you explained it too :p

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in polar coordinates?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of position of a particle over time in polar coordinates, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity over time. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a vector quantity that represents the change in velocity's magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a particle in polar coordinates?

To calculate the velocity of a particle in polar coordinates, you can use the formula v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the distance from the origin to the particle, and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, you can also use the formula v = √(r² + (dr/dθ)²), where r is the distance from the origin to the particle and dr/dθ is the rate of change of r with respect to θ.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a particle in polar coordinates?

The acceleration of a particle in polar coordinates is affected by two main factors: the change in magnitude and direction of the velocity. This can be caused by external forces acting on the particle, such as friction or gravity, or by the particle's own motion, such as changes in angular velocity.

4. Can a particle have constant acceleration in polar coordinates?

Yes, a particle can have constant acceleration in polar coordinates if its velocity is changing at a constant rate. This can occur if the particle is moving in a circular path at a constant speed, as the acceleration will always be directed towards the center of the circle and have the same magnitude.

5. How does the position of a particle affect its velocity and acceleration in polar coordinates?

The position of a particle in polar coordinates does not directly affect its velocity and acceleration. However, changes in the particle's position can lead to changes in its velocity and acceleration, as these quantities are dependent on the particle's position and its rate of change over time.