1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and Acceleration - Verbal Response

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An automobile is traveling west. Can it have a velocity toward the west and at the same time have an acceleration toward the east? Under what circumstances.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote "Yes, the car can be moving west and speeding up with a positive velocity (assuming west is the positive x-axis) and at the same time having a negative acceleration towards the east."

Does my response answer the question? I am having a hard time with this. Can anyone assist me or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks beforehand.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2
    You seem to have the correct grasp on velocity and acceleration. I would just be careful about using the wording "speeding up," as it seems to imply changing/increasing velocity when really in your case the car is slowing down, as it has an acceleration to the east
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?