1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity as a function of position problem (simple i think)

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If we know that velocity [itex]v[/itex] of a particle as a funciton of position [itex]x[/itex] is: $$v(x)=20-2/3x$$
    then i am asked to determine the acceleration when [itex]x=15[/itex]. I am then asked to show that the particle never actually reaches [itex]x=30[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    $$vdv=adx$$
    $$vdt=dx$$
    $$adt=dv$$

and [itex]a[/itex] is the acceleration (not necessarily constant) and [itex]t[/itex] is time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already reduced the problem to what we see in [itex]1.[/itex] I have tried to work with the relevant equations but i cant make sense of the second two since they are time-dependent, which is a variable i have no information on. However, intuitively, i feel to answer the second part i would take a limit as t approaches infinity, so I am conflicted.

Thanks everyone for the help! you people are awesome!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

v(x)=20-2/3x$
    By the way, is that
    [itex]\displaystyle \ v(x)=20-\frac{2}{3x}\ ?[/itex]​
    ... or is that
    [itex]\displaystyle \ v(x)=20-\frac{2}{3}x\ ?[/itex]​

You need to find the velocity, v, when x = 15 ?

Then, take the derivative of v with respect to t . (Both sides of the equation.)

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

i thought order of operations made it linear, that is,
    [itex]\displaystyle \ v(x)=20-\frac{2}{3}x\ [/itex]​
    but i guess youre probably used to posts getting sloppy?

wait, no, i need to find acceleration when x = 15. i think that's what i posted

yes, this i know, but there are no t's. i assume position is a function of time, and thus i have to reckon with the chain rule. can you elaborate on what you mean?

5. Apr 6, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That's it exactly.

If you work this out first;
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}v=\frac{d}{dt}\left(20-\frac{2}{3}\,x\right)\,,[/itex]

then you will see that you also need: the velocity, v, when x = 15 ?

6. Apr 6, 2013 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

ahhh yes that makes perfect sense (although i would have never thought of that). the answer is -20/3---thanks! but do you have any recommendations for showing that x = 30 is impossible? i was thinking of:

[itex]\displaystyle \ 30=\int_0^\infty (20-\frac{2}{3}x)dt\ [/itex]​
    it seems if this is true we would have shown that the only time we will reach x = 30 is in the limit (i can finesse this at the end). any suggestions as to how i proceed?

thanks so much for the advice!

7. Apr 6, 2013 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

[itex]\displaystyle \ 30=\int_0^\infty (20-\frac{2}{3}x)dt\ [/itex]​

How would you go about showing that?

I would just solve the differential equation ##\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt} = 20 - \frac{2}{3}x## to get ##x## in terms of ##t## then prove that ##x<30## for all ##t##.

8. Apr 6, 2013 #7

joshmccraney

Gold Member

you guys are too smart. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted