Velocity at point P on rigid body using cross product formula

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter porquilho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
porquilho
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi. I think this is my 1st post here but I browse a lot on the forum :smile:
I was trying to know the velocity at a point on a rigid Body (in 2D) and i found this equation on a paper:
http://members.fortunecity.de/porquilho/eqVel.jpg
where:
Vap = velocity at point P (body A)
Va1 = Linear Velocity of the Rigid Body CM (m/s)
w1 = Angular Velocity of the Rigid Body (rad/s)
rap with a invers "T" = the perpendicular distance vector from the CM to point p.

Im working on 2 dimension here so angular velocity is just a scalar

The question i have is the unreal result that this equation gives to me, for exemple:
Va1(0, -5)
w1=1.5;
rap(-5,-20) -> now we take the prependicular vector (90º to the left)
rapT(20, -5);
and if I am not mistak making the calculations
Vap = (0,-5) + ( 1.5*20 + 1.5*(-5))
Vap = (0,-5) + ( 30+(-7.5))
Vap = (0,-5) + 22.5 = (22.5, 17.5);
Vap=(22.5, 17.5)

I think this value is too high, are my calculations wrongs ?
HELP ME
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is that "unreal"? This object is not moving very fast in translation but it is spinning like heck and it's pretty darn big.
 
maybe ur right

well now that i look better the angular velocity is in rad's!
lool forgot that
Thanks.